Gable end help

MississippiMims

I have attached a plan I am working on.  The front door of the plan creates an alcove over which I created a gable roof.  What I'm having trouble figuring out is how to make the gable end a straight wall instead of an alcove.  This will create a flat ceiling over the alcove.  I will also be trying to figure out how the add a 4 in 12 shed roof over the front porch but figured it might be easier after I figured out the gable end.  Any suggestions?

Wes Mims

Home Designer Pro 2019

Butler_Plan.plan

Great tutorial.  To the point and simple.  That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.  I guess my only question would be how can I raise the top plate of the front wall without raising the interior ceiling height.  This would give me more slope over the front porch.  This detail is in every picture the customer sends me from Pinterest.  She wants that farmhouse look.

You can either manually move the roof system over the front of the house by raising the ceiling height and rebuild roof (you would raise the ceiling height of the porch as well or you can manually raise the porch roof and tie it  into the main home manually which would cause it to tie in further up roof as well. It is a matter of what you are willing to do and what the client wants.

DJP

The customer wants the brick painted white.  I just haven't changed the materials yet.  I would like to learn your technique for making the gable in the center of the house.  Did you build the roof manually or auto?  Your model is what I was trying to achieve with the addition of the gable over the front porch.

19 minutes ago, MississippiMims said:

with the distinct exception of the roof platform.

Roofs take practice, and the ability to visualize what you want to model.

David and I both have a bunch of roof videos on our YouTube channels (linked in our signatures).

This is a section through the great room (with my roof) -- plenty of room for a vault.

ht1.png

30 minutes ago, MississippiMims said:

Did you build the roof manually or auto?

Started with auto, then switched to manual, which is what I usually do, unless auto build will easily produce the roof I want.

The gable over the door is a dormer that I exploded and changed the roof a bit.

When you are working on a plan like this, try to make changes as you go, and for the roof, build the entire thing instead of piece by piece.

Set defaults to start. If you want white painted brick, set your brick wall to be that, for example.

ht1.thumb.png.0b74cb3e79905221c976d3c713e34a3d.png

I wanted to take a second to thank the both of you for taking the time to help me the other day.  I finally got things figured out and have attached the finished model.  Eric, I used a automatic dormer, exploded it, and made the necessary changes and that worked out pretty well.  Thank you for the tutorial.  I hope to have some time for practice soon where I can try building the manual dormer as you showed.  I look forward to a live online roof class from Chief Architect.

Butler_Plan.plan

• Upvote 1