Odd sizes in Material List

ChrisMe

Hi,

I am a new user of Home Designer Pro (EDIT) 2021. I'm laying out a simple camping cabin. I've noticed that in the material list I'm getting sizes of material that are not typical sizes available at the local lumber yard. Is there a way to correct this? As an example in the image of the material list below item F5 is not a standard length of material.

I have the Structural List Reporting set to "BUY LIST".

I have not found a place in the software that allows me to enter standard material dimensions.

ShedLayout.thumb.JPG.b413693847ba676dc30a768304332806.JPGShed1Material.thumb.JPG.066ccb5f1fe7ad4b154c7e9fb11caf80.JPG

Edited by ChrisMe
Corrected the software version.

Where is 2x4x10 not a standard board length?  You can get 10 foot long 2x4, 2x6, 2x8 or 2x10 right now at the Lowe's down the street from me.  Surely a lumber yard would have them.

In any case, I don't see any way to modify what lumber is considered commonly available.  Your best bet to mimic the functionality would be to generate a cut list, export it for use in Excel and then use some kind of VB script or Excel formulas to generate a buy list from the cut list using your own custom list of lumber sizes.

Yes agreed, 7'-8 5/8" and 8'-8 5/8" are very common (especially the 7'-8 5/8").  You combine with a bottom plate and double top plate (4.5" total) for a rough ceiling height of 8'-1 1/8" or 9'-1 1/8".  The extra 9/8" accounts for 1/2" drywall and leaves 5/8" for flooring finishes so you can have approximately 8' or 9' between the floor finishes.

I would like to constrain the buy list to the more common sizes available at the big box stores. As an example where I live its easy to get 8', 10', 12', 14' 16' lengths of lumber. The fractional lengths are not commonly stocked.

It would be a benefit to be able to specify the lengths of lumber the software would list on the material list when using the "buy list" setting.

You are correct that the version I purchased today is the 2021 version.

What you want to do is a feature of Chief Architect Premier:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00095/creating-a-cut-list-of-framing-materials.html

Honestly, if you just buy one normal 8' or 9' stud for each short stud and cut them, you'll be pretty close to what you want anyway.  How much of those wasted 3 3/8" pieces do you think you can use?

If you learn a little Excel, you can easily use the cut list to generate a custom buy list.

Sure, thats what I did. I rounded everything on the buy list to the closest to the dimension then went to Lowes and dropped $700 on the framing materials.

Doing that in excel is not a problem. Its far simpler than most of the excel stuff I do. But that aside it looks like the answer is that what I'm asking for is not a feature in the software. Thanks for the confirmation.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Spent almost a week trying to get Materials List that a local lumber yard could use, but HDP 2023 offers no way to round up to standard lumber sizes that works. Thought the Buy List would do this, but apparently not. So keep getting the type of info below, and no way to control it. Could import the data into a spreadsheet and go item by item, but that will take hours. Frankly disappointed this has not been fixed, or users been given a way to set the parameters that work.

Examples:

1 1/8" x 11 7/8" - 23.838542'

2 1/2" x 11 7/8" - 33.71875'

1 1/2" x 11 1/8" - 8.416667'

I was certified in BIM (Building Information Modeling) back in 2010. Thought by now it would better than this, especially in software such as CA or it's lite version, HDP.

• 4 months later...

I agree that the Mat List could be refined a LOT. My list for a 38' x 26' structure included some 8' 8 5/8 studs, which is NOT a common size in the big box stores. 7'8 5/8 IS common (92 5/8)

My list also included 2x8x25'11 15/16" ceiling joists, also not a standard size. In fact finding lumber over 20' long these days is impossible. And I am NOT referring to engineered lumber.

And another complaint is, where did the software come up with that 25' 11 15/16 number? I checked the exterior wall dimension by clicking the wall and then clicking the dimension shown (26') I verified it is indeed 26' and not a smaller number rounded up.

stud height is based on ceiling height and number of bottom and upper plates and the size of the lumber you chose.

So if you want 92.625" studs, 1.5" plates (1 bottom & 2 on top), 5/8" Ceiling sheetrock

Ceiling height = 92.625+4.5-.625 = 96.5"

WHich is great as the wall sheet rock installed tight to CEiling leaves a 1/2" gap to floor to help prevent it from soaking up moisture.

All tis should be set up in the DEFAULT SETTINGS first and then you can tweak less things as you create plan.

And there are a lot of choices in Defaults and the first time I set it up how I like took hours as so many things to look at and set.