Screened porch with railing

bmatth1

I am trying to create a screened porch with railing inside the screen panels.  Ideally, the railing would be 2" wide and be flush inside the columns of the porch.  The remaining 2 1/2" on the outside, between the columns, would be for a screen panel.  Suggestions please?  I am using Home Designer Pro.  2021

See the ChiefSkills YouTube channel for a video or 2. They are for Chief Premier, but home designer has some of the same features.

You can sometimes use windows.

An image or 2 of what you want to model would be helpful.

Note the railing in the pics.  I would like to add a screen panel that would cover from under the beam, to the top of the floor, and between the columns, and the railing would be inside the screen panel. 

pic11.jpg

pic22.jpg

10 minutes ago, bmatth1 said:

Did you do this using Home Designer Pro?

The screen panel I made in Chief Premier, and placed it manually between the columns.

There is a glass door in the library that you could use. Just paint the glass with a screen material.

ht1.thumb.png.49a9835dcc89d24bb64e80bf59d899a8.png

When I tried overlaying the door, it took the place of the railing.  I tried making the rail smaller in width, but it made the posts smaller also, and there is not any place to insert the door.  Suggestions?  Thanks

17 minutes ago, bmatth1 said:

Does this work a lot better with premier?

Much easier. No need for the extra wall. You can create your own symbols like I did for the first image I show above, and place them independently of other objects/walls.

You could create a Panel consisting of the railing and screen and apply it automatically as part of the railing wall.

With Pro, you could also create the screen with frame from soffits or slabs for example, make an Architectural Block, and position them manually.

I assume the same will work for filling in the sides and top of a screen door?  My opening is about 53 inches, and when inserting a screen door of 32 inches there are gaps on each side and the top to fill in. 

screen1.jpg

Another way to do that is to use windows either fixed glass or single casement, change the glass to screen.

Draw the rail away from the walls and check no room definition, then place the rail where you want it.

Place the door at the size you want, then place the windows and rails.

I think it is looking great - thanks for the tips.  One last question - the right side, I have an opening with a beam across the top.  I don't seem to be able to select the opening to add a screened door.  Suggestions?  Thanks.

screen-door1.jpg

screen-door2.jpg

Problem solved.  I deleted the beam, closed the opening and made it a full wall, added the door, and HD PRO added the header at the top.  Thanks to everyone for your help.  This is helping me make a decision to purchase HD PRO as my Father's day gift.  :)

screen-door-solved.jpg