Home Additions in HD PRO 2019?? Possible?

ArcherRic

I'm a new user to Home Designer Pro 2019 and I'm wondering if this software will handle room additions to an existing house? How do I create a new room as a plan without creating more square footage with the existing house?

1 hour ago, ArcherRic said:

How do I create a new room as a plan without creating more square footage with the existing house?

The software is programmed to consider the entire construct "the structure". I first started using this software when I was working for a remodeling company. The method I then developed was to make a replica of the existing home and then create a copy of that, calling it "Proposed". To the Proposed, I then added the addition, usually adding the roof system of the addition manually rather than "Automatically" so I can control the exact nature of the added roof planes. You could then compare the "Living Area" of the "Existing or As Built" square footage to the "Proposed" model's square footage to see how much is added.

When you start creating Permit Drawings, you use the "As built" as you "Demo Plan" and your "Proposed" to show the changes and additions. In terms of the Materials List, new users commonly do not know the program well enough to make the model perfect due to a lack of 3D modeling skills. It took me years of creating plans and 3D views to learn the software well enough to obtain an accurate materials list. Until I did learn how to do that I just did it the old fashioned way with a calculator and a pad of paper along with my knowledge of building practices.

DJP

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ArcherRic said:

How do I create a new room as a plan without creating more square footage with the existing house?

I don't really understand what you are asking, but I'll guess.

There is a living area label that shows the total square feet. You would like it to show only the new room instead of the entire structure.

For each room, you may exclude it from the total square feet. Open a room and review the General panel.

• Upvote 1