Exposed Rafter tails

InhabitEcoDesign

I'm trying to draw a plan similar to the one I show here (this is just an example I found online). How do I create exposed rafter tails? I've searched all the videos, searched here on the forum and found some secondary mentions of it. Can't find anything in the reference manual. I've tried drawing the roof with no fascia or gutters, and just wind up with a hole between the roof materials and the soffit (like all the framing was erased). Any guidance would be appreciated! 

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 1.41.07 PM.png

Well, that seams too easy to be true! And, once I tried it, I think it is too easy to be true. I found the "retain framing" option when I opened the roof planes. I selected and deselected everything you have done, and still I get this.  is there a 3D layer that isn't turned on?

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 4.54.28 PM.png

• 2 months later...

On 6/11/2020 at 11:52 AM, barthmv said:

This is one way to do it and there might be others but I found this to be easy and quick

exposed rafter.JPG

roof spec.JPG

soffit.JPG

Thank you, but mine like yours (building a barn) turned the rafters white, they were lumber looking before. Any way you know of to change their color or assign a material?

Thank you, and done. 

I get it's a different subject but seemed to go with this, but will do.

Thanks again, just learning.

Btw, I already had fascia set to charcoal and if I turn on the fascia it is charcoal but the rafters remain white. But rebuilding roof framing fixed it.