VERTICAL weathered lap siding ??? (how?)

Randall30

I want to put vertical weathered lap siding on a house exterior but I do not see this in the materials listing, there is only horizontal weathered lap siding as shown in attached image. Is there a way to make it vertical??? Ultimately I am trying to go for a look like with the Juvet Landscape Hotel siding (photo attached). Can anybody help me? (I am using Chief Architect Home Designer Suite 2016 and if I can get this to work I will likely upgrade to the Architect version.). If needed I am even willing to purchase a separate materials library if it would accomplish this. Or do I need to create my own material?

Juvet-Cabins-1-scaled.jpg?fit=1920,1280&

horizontal weathered lap.png

Spend some time with your reference manual. If you put the material in the plan, you can then select the material from the "plan materials" section. Go to patterns/textures where you should be able to rotate the material 90 degrees.

40 minutes ago, Rookie65 said:

Spend some time with your reference manual. If you put the material in the plan, you can then select the material from the "plan materials" section. Go to patterns/textures where you should be able to rotate the material 90 degrees.

I am not seeing 'Plan Materials" in any menu section. Perhaps that is in a more recent version of the software? I have Home Designer Suite 2016.

14 minutes ago, Rookie65 said:

Check over your manual. It's a simple process, yet I don't know what Suite has. If you plan on doing a lot of design work, I'd suggest skip "Architectural" and go right to the "Pro" version.

I did do a Crtl+F to search the manual for 'rotate material' and 'rotate' and could not find any matches for rotating material. Maybe my 2016 version is just too old and does not have that feature. I am thinking of upgrading from "Suite" to the 'Architectural' version of Home Designer; I just would like to know the rotate materials could be done if I do that. Maybe I can also search online for a vertical oriented material and use that to create a new material to use, idk.

I am going to try the trial versions of Architectural and also Professional; my thought is that my 2016 software version of Suite is just plain outdated.

1 hour ago, Randall30 said:

I did do a Crtl+F to search the manual for 'rotate material' and 'rotate' and could not find any matches for rotating material. Maybe my 2016 version is just too old and does not have that feature. I am thinking of upgrading from "Suite" to the 'Architectural' version of Home Designer; I just would like to know the rotate materials could be done if I do that. Maybe I can also search online for a vertical oriented material and use that to create a new material to use, idk.

I am going to try the trial versions of Architectural and also Professional; my thought is that my 2016 software version of Suite is just plain outdated.

So I tried the trial of Architectural and that does not have the rotate materials option. Hmm. I guess I will try the trial version of the Professional / Premier and see if that has the rotate materials option. Frustrating not to be able to have a simple thing like vertical lap siding--- most of nature is vertical (flora), so vertical wood siding makes so much sense, such as with the Juvet Landscape Hotel siding on their buildings. I just want to be able to emulate that in this software.

You have created your own "frustrations", by your reluctance to study the use of materials (explained in the reference guide).
You also seem to be fixated on the term "rotate", and maybe you need to consider "angle".

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2020 at 9:42 AM, Rookie65 said:

Would adjusting the angle of a material work for one you already have in use? I'm using planking as my roof sheathing b/c I have exposed rafters and that's what I want to see. I've adjusted the angle from 90 to 0 (also tried 180 as well), and in the 3D view it doesn't change.  Any advice?

I have not found any way to adjust materials except to copy and paste a material into the user section, then I can edit (changing rotation) it there and after editing apply it to any surface.  This can be done in architectural (pro not needed) but not sure about suite.

This exact procedure is described in documentation here and is easy to do and perfect for a simple 90 degree rotation of a material:

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00863/rotating-the-direction-of-a-material.html

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, LawB10 said:

Click  the Material definition tool, then click on the material, then change the degree angle.

Sorry for the mistake.

It's worth mentioning this must be done in the 3D view.  In a 3D view, go to menu 3D -> Materials -> Adjust Material Definition.  Then in the dialog that pops up, click "texture" on the left, then use angle to rotate the material.  If you like it, use the material eye dropper to grab it and paint it onto nearby surfaces that you want to also use it.

EDIT: I should mention that one downside of this is that it affects every surface in the plan using this material.  So if you rotate your living room floor, it affects any other room using the same flooring.  If you want to rotate just a single room, you need to use the strategy I described where you copy the material to the user section and rotate it there (and give it a new name indicating the rotation).  Then you can apply the original and the rotated version separately.

• Like 1