Dutch Gable Roof Alignment Issues

dmiller77

Hello, I'm having an issue aligning the upper roof portion of a dutch/gable roof to the lower walls.  Whenever I attempt to do this, the upper gable disappears completely.  The framing get's removed as doe the sheathing, siding etc.  

dutch gable 1.PNG

Thank you for sharing your plan. When I opened it the dutch gable looks perfect. I checked the walls on the first floor and the wall above, they are the same exact wall type and they are NOT out of alignment at all. I do not know what to tell you, I found nothing wrong, nothing out of place-good job.

DJP

dutch gable.jpg

7 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I checked the walls on the first floor and the wall above, they are the same exact wall type and they are NOT out of alignment at all.

David -- try a cross section :)

I've found the Dutch Gable feature to be rather buggy/poorly designed.

ht1.png

• Like 1

My mistake was simply opening the wall spec dialog and by selecting it I saw no out of alignment indicator like you did. It looked OK in an overview camera. I did not check it from the inside, my bad. I agree with Eric, in that this is improper function, so it should be refereed to Tech Support for evaluation.

DJP

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, solver said:

Suggest sending your plan to support.

https://support.chiefarchitect.com/home

And generally, when you have a problem, post a plan showing the problem. For example, for this plan, upload a plan with settings that cause the wall to disappear.

Yes, thank you.  I submitted this to support, we'll see what happens.  

Here is an image for those interested in what I'm trying to accomplish.  I need to move the gable on the roof to align with the first story wall.  For some reason, the software does not allow this without creating an error.

Capture5.png

I was able to repair the out of alignment wall and roof plane edge but only in Home Designer Pro/Chief Premier. If your walls are aligned properly, floor to floor, the auto roof generator should get it right but did not in this case.

DJP

PS: if you intend to download and use the attached plan file MAKE SURE THE AUTO-ROOF GENERATOR IS OFF FIRST.

FARMHOUSE_2.plan

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I was able to repair the out of alignment wall and roof plane edge but only in Home Designer Pro/Chief Premier. If your walls are aligned properly, floor to floor, the auto roof generator should get it right but did not in this case.

DJP

PS: if you intend to download and use the attached plan file MAKE SURE THE AUTO-ROOF GENERATOR IS OFF FIRST.

FARMHOUSE_2.plan

Thank you, I was afraid as much.  This seems like a fairly significant bug.  

Unfortunately, your fix seems to have created a gap in the wall.  It looks like some framing is missing from the gable wall.  

Thank you for all of your help.

Capture6.PNG

Try this, uncheck ignore the second floor, uncheck auto roof return I have yet to see that work on a ungabled roof.

Uncheck Upper pitch for all the walls, make pitches 4"

Go to the second floor and gable the front and rear walls, set the pitches to 8 or higher, then lower the ceiling heights.

On 6/6/2020 at 1:27 AM, LawB10 said:

Try this, uncheck ignore the second floor, uncheck auto roof return I have yet to see that work on a ungabled roof.

Uncheck Upper pitch for all the walls, make pitches 4"

Go to the second floor and gable the front and rear walls, set the pitches to 8 or higher, then lower the ceiling heights.

Unfortunately, I get the same result....the gable framing and walls disappear.