Dormers won't build opposite each other

InhabitEcoDesign

I'm converting a design from Sketchup of a small 1.5 story house. I finally got one dormer in the roof to look good and fit well. When I copied it and pasted it on the other side of the roof, I get the warning that a dormer can't be built because previous walls are in the way. So the new pasted dormer will show up, but the original dormer disappears (though the outline for it is still there). I thought maybe they were both too close to the peak that the framing might interfere. So, I lowered the wall height on each dormer, but I still get the same messages and only one dormer appears. I know I'm missing something. I couldn't find anything like this in previous posts, so thought I'd ask.  Here are two screen shots of the current plan, and an elevation of the SU version I'm trying to recreate.   Also, is there a way to create a flat ceiling in these dormers like in my SU drawing? I haven't been able to find a way to do that. 

I have lots of other questions regarding this plan, like how to have exposed rafter tails on the roof, but I suppose I should start new threads for each of those. Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 3.49.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 3.48.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 3.47.13 PM.png

Keep in mind the Home Designer website has many videos and articles available. It's a good place to start your search for help.

The Reference Guide may be helpful too.

With Pro, you can manually create the dormers, explode an Auto Dormer which is often easier than getting the auto dormers to work.

I have a dormer video or 2 on my YouTube channel.

Thanks, I have watched most of the HD videos on the roofs and dormers, and I watched several of yours on YT also. None seemed to tell me why one dormer would be unable to be built as soon as I added another one on the opposite side of the roof.   I've attached the file here. 

Thanks for your help!  And thanks for the videos too. I"m new so I keep going through topics and watching things as I come across problems. 

Miller_Owlery.plan

Wow, thanks for both videos. I saw David's first, and it still took a little tweaking to get all the walls, and roof hole and everything lined up just right. Eric, your method definitely seems quicker. Thanks for the tips. I didn't catch what you said to do to get that CAD line copied up on the attic plane to "reflect about." (Remember, i use a mac so I don't have "alt.")  I do like those alternating stairs. is that a style that comes in Pro? Haven't messed around yet much with stairs. 

35 minutes ago, InhabitEcoDesign said:

I didn't catch what you said to do to get that CAD line copied up on the attic plane to "reflect about." (Remember, i use a mac so I don't have "alt.")

Paste Hold Position

35 minutes ago, InhabitEcoDesign said:

I do like those alternating stairs. is that a style that comes in Pro? Haven't messed around yet much with stairs. 

No. They could be modeled -- I'd use Custom Countertops for the treads and Custom Backsplash for the stringers.

I've used 2 stairs next to each other to simulate.

ht1.thumb.png.97da2011e7aa9d9fc37ff8764015906d.png

18 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

If you lower the dormer ceiling height to 48", it will build.

Jo- Ann, you're right. If I keep messing with the dormer wall height, I actually got both to draw at 49".  Any ideas how to give the dormer areas flat ceilings so they dont meet at the peak of the ceiling with just an awkward couple of inches in between?  I've tried drawing a room divider on the attic level inside the dormer walls, but that doesn't seem to work. I thought i might create a room where I could designate a ceiling. 

12 minutes ago, solver said:

No. The could be modeled -- I'd use Custom Countertops for the treads and Custom Backsplash for the stringers.

I've used 2 stairs next to each other to simulate.

Oh wow, that's farther than i've gone in the software so far. Thanks! I'll have to experiment a bit with that. 

I realized that the windows are technically on the attic layer. So, I was able to give them negative heights relative to the floor, and drop them down into place. But, if I'm trying to create an accurate floorplan, is there a way I can move the dormer walls and windows to show on the plan for the 2nd floor? A framer looking at the plan as it is now, wouldn't be able to relate the dormer walls and windows without them somehow overlaying the second floor.