Another Roof Plane Question

MadMacks

Have a small cabin design that I can't figure out how to tweak the roof on. The main section of the cabin is set to have 10' walls all around and a 12/12 pitch (needed for best overall solar panel angle). The small pop out that holds part of a closet/pantry and bathroom needs to have walls that are only 8' tall, and the roof over that section should terminate into the side of the 11' wall, rather than being a gull wing as shown in the attached pic. I've tried various things to get that to happen, but can't find a way to split the ceiling height in the pantry and bathroom to 8' walls and get the roof to split properly. Sadly, as I have an older version of the Arch software (2018) I can't download a manual from the web site. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking at the 2021 upgrade but can't find a list of differences/enhancements. I've sent that question to the support/sales email and am waiting for a reply.

House.png

29 minutes ago, MadMacks said:

Sadly, as I have an older version of the Arch software (2018) I can't download a manual from the web site.

Help>View Reference Manual and View Users Guide

31 minutes ago, MadMacks said:

but can't find a way to split the ceiling height in the pantry and bathroom to 8' walls

You have lowered the ceilings?

What is the problem with the roof?

Reference Manual:

With the software open...Top of the toolbar, under "Help", "View Reference Manual".

The Reference Manual PDF will load, and you can choose to download it from the "download" option on the top right side of the PDF.

The main roof needs to be flat all across the plan, not have a gull wing extension. I need all the space for solar panels. The main section if the house should have 10 foot exterior walls (with high ceilings inside as well), but the pop out section should only have 8 foot exterior walls on all three sides. The pop out roof should be a flatter pitch and connect to the 10 foot exterior wall like shown in the attached example image. The inside ceiling for the bathroom and pantry can have ceilings at whatever height, 8 or 10, don't really care.

Sample.jpg

Thanks Solver and Jo Ann...I didn't realize I could grab the manual the way...reading it now!

Jo Ann, the bump-out is shorter in the sample image, only shows how the roof should attach to the taller wall...

that is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. Funnily, as I try different things I get all kinds of strange results...all because I'm learning and don't know the proper way! Fun, but frustrating too...

I have s 1 foot overhang on the main roof. I have tried to change the wall height on the bump out, but haven't figured it out properly. And I tried changing the roof pitch, but the only way I saw to do it was have a two pitch roof, one for the top and another for the bottom half. That resulted in a gull wing. I'll try changing the ceiling height and see what happens...

so if I select the pantry, which is fully contained in the bump out space, that part of the roof drops as desired. But when I select the bathroom, which is partially in the bump out, and partially inside the main space, I get a very interesting result... I don't see a way to "split" the ceiling line in the bathroom so that the roof drops properly. Is there a way to create a split line half way thru the bathroom so that the exterior section lowers properly? See the example image...

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 5.51.19 PM.png

I did split the exterior wall on the right thinking I could change all three selected walls to a shorter height, and that might do it... But it didn't... The problem is that half the bathroom ceiling is high, and half low. So the roof generates a funky indent.... I'd be fine if the ceiling in the bathroom (and HW space) was all the same height at roughly 8 feet.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 5.52.58 PM.png

If I change the bathroom ceiling height to 8 feet I get this...Because part of the ceiling is inside the main perimeter. There must be a way to indicate that the roof line for the main roof stay the "normal" height, and other the part outside the main perimeter should drop down... 

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 6.03.11 PM.png

One step at a time.

I assumed this is a Room Divider wall. Change the ceiling height in the closet and bath only outside the main structure.

For now, everything else needs to be the default ceiling height.

ht1.png

Yep! Just figured it out... Added the room divider, selected the water heater space and the entry space, set the height to the original, and bingo!

I REALLY appreciate your two helping with this. Learned some good things, and will use them going forward! THANK YOU!

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 6.14.42 PM.png