Tracing an existing blueprint?

customhome

Hi guys.

I am using Home Designer Architect 10

I have a blueprint that I would like to trace. (It's my own blueprint)

I have imported a jpg of the floorplan and have traced the first wall. However the dimensions of the HD software do not match the dimension of the wall in the blueprint.

I tried changing the dimension of the wall but it actually changed the size of the wall instead of just the numerical value causing it to not match the blueprint underneath that I traced.

What is the best way to trace a blueprint or floorplan?

Thanks

Draw a wall that matches the same length ( feet, inches) as one of the outer walls of the blueprint jpeg.

Hold down the ctrl key, and begin to enlarge your jpeg from one of the diagonal corner handles (this will enlarge the jpeg while keeping the proportion correct).

When the length of the jpeg wall matches the wall you have drawn to that same footage, you are ready to begin tracing.

• Upvote 1

importing an image of a scaled blueprint does NOT mean that it will import at the proper scale (ralationship) to anything else. What Jo_Ann is recommending (rightly so) is to alter or enlarge your imported image until it is close to the right size.

the "right size" is defined by achieving close to an actual scale of 1' = 1' or  "real world" scale. Most house plans must be scaled down to fit on a managable sized piece of paper so when you are reversing the process (importing an image into Home Designer) you have to enlarge such images until they begin to agree with their stated dimensions (the dimensions of your plan file match those stated in the blueprint).

You do that by dragging a corner handle of the selected image and then check to see how that enlargent agrees or disagrees with what the dimensions are shown to be.

It is a methodical process but one that is worthwhile to successfully complete.

When your walls are all sketched in, you delete the image and finish the process by making the plan file's dimensions match the blueprint's dimensions. You make sure that "Dimension Defaults - Locate Objects" are set the same as the blueprints are showing, otherwise inaccuracies can be entered in to the plan unnecessarily.

DJP

• 4 weeks later...

I have a general question about floor plans.... I have a floor plan that I found online that I want to start with, and then modify. I have the picture as a background and am tracing it. But I'm confused about something. When they report that a room, say a bedroom, is "12' x 12'," do they include the width of the walls or not? If the walls are 4" thick, is the inside of the room really 12 feet, or is it 11 ft, 4 inches? One would think that it is really 12 feet without the wall thickness, but I want to be sure.

Thanks!

Susan

x6 2015 Win8.1

Hi Susan,

The drafting protocol is different from one designer to the next.  I don't recommend using the room's area description to reproduce its size; these dimensions may be rounded to the nearest foot or have some other hidden convention applied (e.g., from where to where are the measurements taken? What about non-rectangular rooms?).  Instead, I recommend that you layout the floor plan roughly and then adjust each individual room's size to taste.

Good luck. :)

yes you can use the Space Planner to do just that for a quick plan , then go Build House to see in 3D ...

Susan , your other post says you have HDA , this one say X6 ...maybe both but if you have X6 questions try the Chieftalk forums instead ,you will get better answers related to x6 features

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/forum/7-general-q-a/

Thanks Mick - I'm new to Home Designer Architectural. When I downloaded the Bonus files, the link said X5 or X6 so I thought there was a correlation between them. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm using HDA 2015 only. 

and thanks Elovia too. I'll play it by ear. Since I'm redesigning the layout, I can make them however large/small I want! :) 

Susan

• 5 weeks later...

Color me stupid, but drawing an exterior wall to a known dimension and then attempting to drag the picture to somehow match the size doesn't work!!!

I've spent the last hour getting no where and am about ready to return the product.

IS there no way of simply drawing a wall/line saying what it's length is and then having the Home Designer move the pic/drawing to match?

I'm pulling my hair out - what little I have left.

Glenn