How to convert a terrain DWG file to TXT file

mjbeerman

I have just purchased Home Designer Architectural so that I can design my new vacation home.  I have had a site survey done 2 years ago and have a DWG file of my lot, but am not able to load this into Home Designer, only .txt of .gpx files.  The tutorial says that there are 3rd party programs for converting a .dwg into either acceptable format, but I have not been able to find one.  Does anyone know how to convert a .dwg to a .txt or .gpx on a mac, preferably free?

Thank you.

If you know someone who has AutoCAD, they can convert a .dwg file to a .dxf file which then should import into Architectural. Once imported, you can convert the dxf lines to terrain data, one at a time in relation to each other. The AutoCAD user just opens your existing .dwg file and then saves it as a .dxf file.

I am not familiar with any programs that convert or save-as a .dwg to a txt or.gpx file.

DJP

Draftsight is a free AutoCAD compatible program made by Dassault Systems (Solid Works) that can do as David suggests  DWG>DXF

http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/?fromrss=1

(of course they have your email , so expect followup emails and offers)

if you want me to try it or convert it for you , post the file to this thread and i'll try it.

Mick.

• 5 years later...