Setting latitude and longitude

Frank29

This is my first post, so apologies if it’s in the wrong area.

i am trying to use Home Designer Pro to create a shadow plan. I’ve attempted to set my location based on Google Maps, but not sure if I’ve done it correctly as the shadows on the plan differ wildly from real life.

i have also tried setting the north angle, which I think is approximately correct.

I’d appreciate any hints, tips or examples of setting these values.

thanks in advance

The image is from my trial copy of Home Designer Pro 2021, Edit - Preferences (it is the same in Chief Premier but not available in Suite). I live in Austin, Texas so the lat. and long.settings as well as the time zone are set for where I live. The "North Arrow" is for orientating those settings to your "North-South" of your plan view, You always set such things to the orientation of the model in plan view, you NEVER rotate the structure to get the right orientation relative to sun angle and shadows.

DJP

Default Settings.PNG

I use this website in combination with Google maps to set my North arrow. Enter your location and you will get the L&L. Then, do the overhead view w/Google and then rotate the image to how your project will sit on the property/existing house if it's an addition, etc. Then you can estimate pretty closeley where North is from that view. Set the date & time in HD Pro, enter the L&L numbers and the sun will adjust accordingly.

https://www.latlong.net/