Posts under a shed roof protrude through roof

AnneWertheim

1611974319_ScreenShot2020-05-06at12_34_05PM.thumb.png.726901c8c568c3618b8867cafcbf1910.pngI am working on a plan for a house that we will have to built in stages due to limited financial resources. In the beginning half of the second floor will have a large deck, that in a few years we will enclose. For now it will be a screened in large deck/porch. How do I accomplish having the posts going up to the roof have the same pitch as the roof?

Question#2: How can I change the ceiling hight for floor #1, so it will be 10' instead of the standard 8'?

Question #3: Is it possible to have a view of the house, for example just the front, (or back, or side) in 2D? I want to show my plan and be able to see the exact measurements?

Thanks for any help.

I am using Home Designer Suite 2021

12 minutes ago, AnneWertheim said:

In the beginning half of the second floor will have a large deck, that in a few years we will enclose.

How will you waterproof the floor? Have you considered you will have an exterior wall, waterproofing, railings etc -- that is cost that could be put towards the enclosure of the deck today?

16 minutes ago, AnneWertheim said:

How do I accomplish having the posts going up to the roof have the same pitch as the roof?

Manually.

17 minutes ago, AnneWertheim said:

Question#2: How can I change the ceiling hight for floor #1, so it will be 10' instead of the standard 8'?

Change it in Defaults, then Edit>Reset to defaults.

19 minutes ago, AnneWertheim said:

Is it possible to have a view of the house, for example just the front, (or back, or side) in 2D? I want to show my plan and be able to see the exact measurements?

Elevation Camera.

Dimensions will be shown in plan, not evevation.

9 minutes ago, solver said:

How will you waterproof the floor? Have you considered you will have an exterior wall, waterproofing, railings etc -- that is cost that could be put towards the enclosure of the deck today?

Good point. I guess we'll have to do the math.

Manually.

I don't know how to do it manually

Change it in Defaults, then Edit>Reset to defaults.

Great! That worked!

Elevation Camera.

Dimensions will be shown in plan, not evevation.

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, AnneWertheim said:

Manually.

I don't know how to do it manually

Suite is very limited and I'm not sure how I would do it.

After thinking a bit, I made a video on how this might work.

I'll update this as soon as it's uploaded and ready to view.

This method might be easier:
Do your rail with the posts extending to a beam.  On the attic level, make the walls invisible.
Add a soffit to the attic level, sized like a post.  Move this into the invisible wall.
Copy/ sticky paste this post as many times as needed.
Do an elevation view, and move the posts into position over the existing railing posts.  Change the height on each post to extend it into the roof, and into the post below it.

Make the long side attic wall visible again.  Add a window (like Eric did),  but extend it the entire length of the wall.  Set it's shape to "follow the roof".   I found it necessary to change the glass material to misc>no material (library).   
Lastly, place another soffit over the front wall (just below the roof), and size it to match the window top casing (creates the top beam).
Done.

image.thumb.png.8097f5b02b1fcf8354b786093351e9e3.png

I really appreciate everybody's help! I tried Jo Ann's approach, as it looked simpler.   I couldn't figure out how to make the window work. I kept on having a piece of the wall stick out of the roof on the left side. 

Even if it's not perfect, it's enough to show to people!

Thank you again so much!

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 8.05.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 8.04.55 AM.png

Try doing it with box shape(s)  Change the elevation reference from floor to from ceiling and check flush mount.

For the posts try using box shapes, don't change the elevation reference, just resize the box shape.