Save Custom Plan Materials to User Catalog

SpeleoWorm

I created a bunch of custom materials by copying existing materials and then changing their name, dimensions, color, texture, scale, etc., but now I am unable to reuse them since they only exist in the Plan Materials list, not in the User Catalog or any of the other libraries.  Is there a way to copy/save the custom materials which I created to the User Catalog so that I can use them in the future, or do I have to recreate all of those materials again?

image.thumb.png.6bd7b89b5b898b472ebc6e284f776175.png

Unlike Chief, Home Designer is limited on doing things like adding materials from the plan to the library.

Normally, you would create them in the library, not in the plan if you wanted to reuse them.

I know of no way to get them into the library.

Often when you create or open it up, there will be the library icon in the bottom of the window. That may let you add it and rename it, depending on what it is. Ideally if you have a master plan you start your projects with, then it would be available for every plan created from that.

37 minutes ago, Rookie65 said:

Often when you create or open it up, there will be the library icon in the bottom of the window. That may let you add it and rename it, depending on what it is.

Thanks Keith!  I will look for what you are talking about, but I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "create or open it up"?  Is there a way to open up the custom materials from another place?  I included a screenshot of the available options, but "Copy" only creates a copy of it in the Plan Materials list, not in the User Catalog, and when I edit the material there don't appear to be any additional options available.

40 minutes ago, Rookie65 said:

Ideally if you have a master plan you start your projects with, then it would be available for every plan created from that.

That is a good point...if you open a plan and simply delete everything out of it you basically get your own template, and then the items in the Plan Materials list almost become a hidden user catalog.  Unfortunately my Plan Materials list seems to be a bit out-of-control at the moment (tons of duplicates and unnamed items - see screenshots below) so I was hoping to clean thing up in my next plan by not copying the current one (which is currently 75 MB in size).  The user catalog seems like it would be a good place to store and reuse things, but I just can't figure out how to export/copy/save my existing custom materials there.

image.thumb.png.6fdac18eede4ec52ca877599794e1f08.pngimage.thumb.png.0197c1f4671132c11f94215062b2efc1.png

Opening "it" meant the object you wish to save to your user library. I have a master plan I use for every project. It has the default settings and items I want for things like wall types, doors, floor materials, etc. so I don't have to spend time resetting all of the defaults on a new project. When I start a new job, I will start with the master, open it, select "save as" and rename it to the new job. Then if I need to change items for that particular project, I just change the defaults for that job and the master stays intact. And if you create something new while working on the new job, add it to the user library and it's there for the future. For what it's worth, I have never used one of their defaulted style type plans for the reason you are having issues. Worst case with your own master is if an item is deleted, the materials for that item will show the texture is missing and give you the chance to replace it with something that is available. Looking at your screen shot you seem to have a boatload of duplicates that would be helpful to get rid of and keep what is checked and active.

I've posted a tutorial on creating custom templates in Tips & Techniques.

Here is the dialog from Chief that allows one to add plan materials to the library. One of many convenience features that an extra $2,300 buys you.

ht1.thumb.png.e17e8cb4a3fcd3426f70a8887ca965f5.png

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Aside from solver's tutorial video on custom templates, the tutorial below goes over how to save newly created items directly into the library (even duplicated items that are slightly changed). Although it actually may not help you in copying from the plan to the library, but your question seemed to correlate to what she's done midway in this tutorial video. (although she's working in the library, yeah, ok.) In any case, this may give you an idea for a way to accomplish it, fwiw:

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/videos/watch/10140/home-designer-quick-tip-custom-beams.html?playlist=201

-And solver, I'm looking forward to seeing all the tutorials you've created! Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - so much discussion on such a simple matter - Any custom materials I have created on the fly are automatically saved in the 'User Catalog'.....So where is the issue?

Once they are located there they can be accessed in any plan.

These new materials can be filed into folders to suit ones individual needs and classification etc.

Am I missing the question here? (again?)

• 9 months later...
On 8/26/2021 at 11:48 PM, Robborito said:

Wow - so much discussion on such a simple matter - Any custom materials I have created on the fly are automatically saved in the 'User Catalog'.....So where is the issue?

The OP did not have that feature. Perhaps this was an addition to HD Pro 2022?

4 hours ago, solver said:

That's been available since at least the 2015 versions.

So I wonder what the OP meant when he said "I created a bunch of custom materials ...I am unable to reuse them since they only exist in the Plan Materials list, not in the User Catalog..."

Clearly they should have existed in the User Catalog.

18 minutes ago, MrPete said:

So I wonder what the OP meant when he said "I created a bunch of custom materials ...I am unable to reuse them since they only exist in the Plan Materials list, not in the User Catalog..."

Just what he said. He made modifications to materials in plan and not in the Library. 

On 5/4/2020 at 10:36 AM, solver said:

Unlike Chief, Home Designer is limited on doing things like adding materials from the plan to the library.

Normally, you would create them in the library, not in the plan if you wanted to reuse them.

I know of no way to get them into the library.

• Like 1