Save/Reuse Non-existent Default Materials

SpeleoWorm

I have found that some of the items used in the default plan styles provided by Home Designer are not included in the core, bonus or manufacturer catalogs.  For example, in the "Today's Traditional" style you can see that they are using the CA-32 crown molding as a default, but CA-32 doesn't exist in the library, so you can't use it in other places (either in another plan or even in the same plan since you are only allowed to select molding profiles from the library, not from the existing list of Plan Materials).  Why are these "default" materials/symbols/profiles not included in any of the libraries?  Is there a way to save them to the User Catalog so that you can reuse them in the future?

image.thumb.png.b0ae3d6ec58adeefb6cece544c98883e.png

image.thumb.png.3621d318bcd8af114a9e8f30f94e1a0c.png

image.thumb.png.472b1be9b08121134f5ad04daf168b77.png

image.thumb.png.8510b7128c698688348bca019fe08db3.png

I find this very strange...if a material/symbol/profile is part of their "default" collection, why wouldn't it be included in any of their libraries?  And why can't you save materials from the Plan Materials list (including ones that you have custom created) to the User Catalog?  It sounds more plausible that they missed this minor detail and forgot to add a few of the materials that they expect all of their Home Design users to use in any of their catalogs.  I guess I will report this to support as well.

• Downvote 1

You cannot do these things because that's the way the program works, the program is not broken, and it's not a bug.

These are features that you can find in the Chief Architect products. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, solver said:

You cannot do these things because that's the way the program works, the program is not broken, and it's not a bug.

Eric, I am not sure what you are referring to...I didn't say that the product is broken or that there is a bug?  I said that I thought they may have "forgot to add a few of the materials that they expect all of their Home Designer users to use in any of their catalogs" because those materials are included in their default styles but not in their libraries.  Does it make sense to you?

16 minutes ago, solver said:

These are features that you can find in the Chief Architect products. 

I also don't understand your comment about Chief Architect since this has nothing to do with that product.  I am referring to materials that are included in the default style templates in Home Designer.

• 2 years later...

I was having the same issue and found this topic. I found a relatively simple solution to this. This works in the 2023 Pro version. I'm not sure if it'll work in previous versions.

1. From plan view, click on the object that contains the missing items.

2. From the bottom toolbar, select the "Find Original in Library" button. It's the last icon on mine.
    FindButton.thumb.png.3743b98c006b0ae1fb83dc11e826b1e3.png

3. Select the missing item/items you want to extract from the pop-up window.
    FindInLibrary.png

4. When you click the "OK" button, it will display the selected object name and its associated library.FindResults.thumb.png.0c06906fea2e1f1a6dd6e382b3a4b34b.png

5. Select the missing items and click the "Add to Library" button to save these items to the User Catalog.

Hope this helps others!

• Upvote 1