Cathedral ceiling, garage bonus room, and stepped roofline

ciser123

Hi all,

I come in need of some help.  I've worked myself into a headache trying to match a floor plan we found online that we would like to build, with a few minor modifications.  I've attached my current plan file for reference.  Here's a link to the floorplan:  https://www.houseplans.net/floorplans/00900294/modern-farmhouse-plan-2102-square-feet-3-4-bedrooms-2-bathrooms

Three things I'm struggling with, big time.

1.)  I want to have the vaulted ceiling in the great room, with the center of the room lining up with the roof ridge line.  The current roof auto-builds at the center of the exterior full gable wall.  I'm thinking maybe Home Designer Pro would make this easy (manual roof lines), but I'm still working in Suite 2019.  Any other way of accomplishing this?

2.)  Somewhat related, I want to match the front elevation of the house plan, with the left side of the house (when looking from front elevation) "lifted" above the right side of the house, with an obvious separation.  On the back of the house, however, the roof planes coming down from the top need to be on the same plane, even though the ridges aren't in the same spot.  (Hopefully I didn't butcher that explanation too bad...)

3.)  I want to have somewhat of a bonus room above the garage, similar to the plan but not exactly the same.  When I've tried adding a 2nd floor to accomplish this I mess a lot of stuff up.  

Overall when I try to accomplish any of these three things I end up messing a lot up.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

latest and greatest_roofs.plan

image.png

Looks like you also want a loft room over the great room. It is  a little confusing to me that you want a vaulted ceiling and then intend to cover half of it with a small, not very useful in terms of head room loft room, is that part of what you are trying to do?

When you look at the floor plan and ceiling heights compared to the elevation views of the house, they DO NOT AGREE WITH REALITY in that the Great Room area is at least two or three feet higher than the  ceiling heights would create if you followed them slavishly (not workable). it can be done but the plans need to not lie to their reader like these obviously do. These are my preliminary thoughts on looking at your plan file and the online plans and images.

I haven't had breakfast yet so I am loath to start making a video just right now, maybe others will have some input while I have my morning coffee and eggs.

DJP

Mr. Potter,

I appreciate your early-morning words of wisdom.  A few responding comments for after you've had coffee and eggs :):  I do not intend to have a loft room over the great room at all.  If my current plan shows that, it's just me screwing it up trying to get the roof/vault geometry in efforts to match the online plan.  I only intend to have one 2nd floor room, and that would be a small bonus room over the garage, with the stairwell off the edge of the great room as drawn.

For your second paragraph, are you saying that the online floor plan coupled with their elevation views don't make sense?  Taller front elevation wall in that great room area would lead to taller ceiling height, not counting the vault/cathedral ceiling?  Also, if you look at the rear and side elevations on that floor plan on the website it looks like the back wall elevation is much shorter, allowing that roof plane to extend farther down than it does on the front of the house.

I appreciate your help!

Craig

The stairs are supposed to lead up to the 2nd floor room above the garage, the bonus room.  Again, I was trying to mimic the floor plan shown on that website.  Here's a snip showing that 2nd floor plan with the stairs coming up from the great room:

image.thumb.png.3913c9e525cb29d2697588df540afe73.png  

Here's a snip showing the stairs in the great room on the first floor:

image.thumb.png.ebbdf7e410d9c6ca7d6c0029915b0ed8.png

Mr. Potter,

Wow!  41 minutes of teaching - that's awesome!  I greatly appreciate that video.  I probably won't have time to watch it entirely until late this evening, but I most certainly will (a couple times over, I'm sure), and let you know how it goes in Suite.  Again, thank you SOOO much for your time and efforts.  I'll be back in touch as soon as I can, once I have a chance to review the video a couple of times and try to digest it.

Thank you!!

David

I looked at this plan last night. I changed the ceiling heights to all be 9' and then built ceiling planes under the great room roof...it built a perfectly centered vault ceiling like the OP requested...then I looked at the big picture and noticed the fine print that appears below the pretty pictures...it says the photographs may not be the same as the plan due to owner modifications...at my skill level it became 4th and 40...I punted...your tenacity is amazing...I learned a lot from this video...your abilities to interpret what you see in these projects and how to remedy the situation is uncanny...thanks for all you do!!!

Regards

Rick

24 minutes ago, ricatic said:

Regards

That ability comes from years of comparing photos and the need to convert them into data for plans. Most builders, Architects and Engineers develop this "Mind's eye" ability but it takes lots of exercise, successes and failures to develop it. At any rate thank you for the validation!

DJP

David

Do you think my observation that the pictures on the internet don''t match the plans is correct...When I realized that little piece of information in the small print, the front wall height problem you so aptly described made more sense...

The OP wanted the vault ceiling...as I mentioned earlier, I was easily able to create a 5/12 vault after fixing the ceiling heights...with your plan, am I seeing ceiling planes with a plate height of 12'...

Regards