Rail Posts/Newels on Porch

mariodajti

Hello,

I am trying to create a porch with railings and posts and I am having a hard time manually adding the posts to the rail. I literally tried everything. I am new to the program, so I am trying to learn everything as I go along and with watching videos, but I can't find anything on how to manually add a post to a rail. I am using a 3D symbol post, but even if I use posts from the Chief Architect library it still shows the baluster sticking out of the post. I used the "Point to Point Move" tool too and the baluster from the rail is still sticking out. I am using "Turned Barcelone" fence/rail from the Home Designer Core Catalog. Does somebody have any idea on how to manually add the post to the rail? I turned the newel/post option off because even if I turn it on, I want to use my own symbol and I don't want the newel/post to be right next to the baluster.

It is a lot easier to place posts (AKA Newels) by way of the "Wall Specification Dialog - Rail Style Tab - Post to Beam" setting. then you vary the spacing of the Posts (aka Newels) by way of the "Input Box" for "Newel Spacing" to add or subtract newels and their spacing one newel to the other.

Eric, above, suggested you share WHAT software and its Version you are using which helps us help you better, since different apps have different capabilities from version to version.

DJP

I agree with Jo_Ann in that in order for ANYONE to help you, you must clearly and openly state what the precise problem is and what you are specifically trying to do. Other than "Control Key-Drag" and "Point to Point Move" and "Transform-Replicate" dialog, there ARE no other methods for locating object precisely other than one's on intention to obtain the exact effect one wishes. Best of success to you but, due to your unwillingness to be forthright, you ARE on you OWN. Your stating that "we just don't understand" is true but it is also irresponsible of you to withhold pertenint information from those who are willing to help. It is YOUR choice, always.

DJP

Thank you, but I don’t know how more explicit one can be. I am not “unwilling to be forthright” at all. If I didn’t want the help I wouldn’t have come on here seeking it or have posted on two different forums.... I specifically said, I have created a porch. On the porch, I want to manually add newels, (3D Symbols) and add them to my porch. If I turn on newels option, it won’t allow me to use my own post from the user catalog. I would have to use one of theres. Also, when I  just manually add my newel/post to the porch, the baluster from the rails I have chosen to use, sticks out of the post even if I use point to point to lock the newel post in it’s position. I don’t know how to be more clear. That’s the problem I am facing and I am trying to fix that, that’s all. 

https://youtu.be/oGcuoMx9I48

In this video, you see he is manually adding the columns to the porch, I am trying to do the same just I want to add my own post/newel to a porch connected to the railing. 

On 4/26/2020 at 6:47 PM, mariodajti said:

Hello,

I am trying to create a porch with railings and posts and I am having a hard time manually adding the posts to the rail. I literally tried everything. I am new to the program, so I am trying to learn everything as I go along and with watching videos, but I can't find anything on how to manually add a post to a rail. I am using a 3D symbol post, but even if I use posts from the Chief Architect library it still shows the baluster sticking out of the post. I used the "Point to Point Move" tool too and the baluster from the rail is still sticking out. I am using "Turned Barcelone" fence/rail from the Home Designer Core Catalog. Does somebody have any idea on how to manually add the post to the rail? I turned the newel/post option off because even if I turn it on, I want to use my own symbol and I don't want the newel/post to be right next to the baluster.

Mariodajti said in a private message: 

Hello Doug, 

First off, I would like to thank you for taking the time out to further assist me in trying to figure this out and resolve the issue. I did not think of that great idea and it seems to work. The only thing is, is the foundation for me disappears when I break the wall and make it invisible. How do I prevent that from happening? 

Best,

Mario Dajti

And

I followed all these steps and still the same thing. The foundation disappears. I repeated every step just like you instructed. I am not sure why I am having this problem. I made the railing around the whole porch like you said, then added the post, and used the wall break tool at the intersection and did the next steps.

So I replied:

Ok, sorry to hear that.  Try this. 

Make a square with railings.

Break one wall using the wall break tool.  

Does the room still exist?

911231805_WallBreakTool.thumb.jpg.f480473dcf6a3824be5127a2d9c910fc.jpg

Make sure that both sections of the railing wall are still touching.

Regards

Doug

Both Eric's and Doug's methods work, but this method might be easier to manipulate.

Draw default deck rail walls.  Open each rail and reduce thickness to 1", and set as "invisible". This forms the 'Room".
Add your post (I would resize it to 12" wide X 12" deep).

Draw a new default deck rail outside of the porch.
Open the rail and put a check in the box "no room definition".
On the rail style tab, select "panels". Uncheck the boxes for "top rail" and "bottom rail".

On the newel/balusters tab, reduce the width of the newel to 0" (if you want to eliminate them).
Select the turned panels from the library.

You can now ctrl/drag the new rail over the existing default rail.
Proceed to drag the end of the turned rail to it's finished position.

image.thumb.png.675973d1fbf2911e2c0e43c0b02e95e5.pngimage.thumb.png.33406a11d613e348b3edcda95ecb7471.pngimage.thumb.png.4f9f2bd8ee349bcdce22e129269204d5.png