Roof issue - trouble making variable shaped slopes

eyedrjudy

I am using HD suite 2020 and believe the answer to my issue is likely to upgrade to a different version and if so I am unsure which one is necessary... I have been through so many of these Q&As and HD's articles with no luck.

I am attempting to create multiple flat slopes for a modern design. The garage is ok apart from the small roof line covering the entry, I am trying to eliminate that while still maintaining the garage location. I would like the front porch/slab to be covered with as nearly flat of a slope as allowable per my location (I believe 1:12). The large living area would ideally be under 1 large roof plane but I haven't found a way to extend the main roof over the front living area. I have deleted walls temporarily and turned off auto-rebuild. I would also prefer the side of the home with the master and side patio/slab to be under 1 continuous roof - I think I could fix this by calculating the hip wall height of the master given the slope and height of the front bedroom hip wall but I assume there has to be a more direct way to modify this.

Do I just need to upgrade?

new.plan

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.12.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.13.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.21.48 AM.png

You have then slanted or shed roofs, using the same method all you need to do is to change the "pitch" settings to "zero inches" or perhaps 1/16" : 1' pitch to obtain flat roofs ("Flat" roofs are not actually perfectly flat, they are  built to have a slight slant so when it rains, the roofs drain instead of "lake". Without more detailed information, I cannot advise more.

After downloading and looking at your plan I now see that Suite has a limitation of 1/4" in 12 as a minimum pitch. I applied what I suggested to you above and got the roofs more flat looking. You may want to consider using a parapet roof system. You create a second floor that has no ceiling and set the "Ceiling Height" to the intended height of the parapet exterior walls. That way you can obtain the appearance of flat roofs (0.0 Degrees) and assume the roof system is slanted to the edges of the second floor parapet (similar to a Spanish colonial pueblo roof look). The missing attic walls that result can be manually drawn in at need.

DJP

All done with the same tools that Suite has.  Remember, room ceiling heights affect the placement level of the roof.

The ceiling heights are temporary.  When the roof is correct, you turn off 'auto build roof' and reset the ceiling heights.

The garage fix involves a small temporary room in the problem area, set with 'no roof over this room'.  That room can also be deleted when 'auto build roof' is turned off.

Start playing. :)

Also, you said that the roof pitch should be 1/12".  But the default roof is set at 2/12", and some of the walls are set at 2" & 3" pitch.  What is it to be?

Thank you Jo Ann! I was struggling to keep the porch uncovered by the larger roof’s overhang when turning off auto-build. I’ll keep working! The pitches will vary. 1/12” on the front porch only and otherwise 2-4/12” with the steepest being the large living area for a tall fireplace and clerestory windows.