roof sheathing

barthmv

is there a way to show roof sheathing in 3D views.  I have a walk up hip roof attic (old house) and when I model it the attic area from the inside only shows roof shingles and roof framing (rafters ridge, etc. ) and not the sheathing.  I haven't been able to find a way to model the sheathing.  It also does not show up in the materials list.  Is there a way to do this.

Thanks

sheathing for roofs are not included anywhere that I can find. When I click on the shingles and delete there is an open area into the attic. it removes all framing and shingles.  Maybe pro does not allow for sheathing to be shown as a separate entity and is just assumed.

from inside attic.jpg

This is what I get.  The roof I have shown is slate so at first I thought maybe the slate roof displays differently than a asphalt shingle roof.  I change the roof to asphalt shingle and rebuilt the roof and got the same results.

roof plane1.JPG

roof plane2.JPG

I noticed that you have a roof layers option and I don't.  It must be a difference of the software versions.  I assume your roof plane specification window is from Chief Premier.  When I try to change the sheathing material from fir framing (default setting) to plywood it does not change.  Remains as the default says "Fir Framing".  Guess Pro can't do what I am asking for which I believe should be a basic roof option. I will keep on trying to figure it out.  Thanks for all the input

as a follow up I went on the Chief Architect site and did a comparison of Chief Architect vs Home designer Pro 2021 and discovered that roof layers is not an option for Pro. Sorry to have wasted your time on this.  I will request with support that the option be updated into Pro as it is a basic roof feature of almost all roof types. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I checked with Chief support and was told that Pro does let you change the sheathing type and I found that if I create a new plan and create the roof I do have a sheathing option under the roof build materials tab.  The existing plan I have has labeled the sheathing material as "default"  and will not let me change it no matter what I do. I have included 2 plan files.  Test Roof Plan was created the same as Test2 Roof Pan but you'll find that the sheathing option in the roof build materials tab is labeled default in the first and won't allow the material to be changed.  The second plan allows the sheathing material to be changed.  These plans are very simple basic plans just to demonstrate what is happening.  The first plan is taken from a much more elaborated plan with everything deleted except for the second floor walls.  The roof was also deleted from the original plan and rebuilt with auto roof build.  I haven't a clue as to why there is a difference between the two plans.  Without taking up to much of anyone's time if someone has a reason for the difference I would appreciate it.  Thank you

test roof plan.plan

test2 roof plan_auto_save_bak.plan

I went to my test roof plan and tried to change the default materials and it will not change from default.  I tried to do it in the default settings with no luck and also tried to do it in the roof build materials tab with no luck.  I am able to do a completely new plan and have sheathing options but not in my test roof plan.  Might be something I just have to live with with the original plan.  

I just looked at your test plan and you are correct -- cannot change away from Fir Framing.

Delete the roof, then use Edit>Edit Area All Floors to copy and then paste into a new plan.

Suggest you send your plan to support as there is clearly something wrong.

Ok, I will send it to support.  Thanks for your help with this.  Might not be a big deal not having the sheathing correct but it's bothering my head to not know the answer.  I will update when I get some information from support.

regards,

I heard back from support about this issue and because this is from an old plan that I had started to finish in Pro 2021, something did not translate to the new version.  They weren't able to isolate the cause and suggested to redraw the plan in the new version.  I guess this is something to keep in mind when reviving an old plan, mine was from 2012. Some of the features of older versions don't work in the new ones.