Revisions - how do I handle revisions to documents?

MikeGruby

Go to solution Solved by MikeGruby,

From what I know of Home Designer 2015 this is how I would manage revisions to plans after printing for contact use. It is very involved. Can anyone tell me a better way, please?

Keep only one PLAN file. Print the LAYOUT file and associated documents and use and number the layout files with the same name as the PLAN file and include the sheet number. For example: Plan file = Fern.plan; Layout file = Fern-A1.layout. Elevations might be Fern-A2.layout, etc. These will contain the information I want in the contract sheet, but I caution against this as you will see below.

Let's say I revise an area of the plan. I would make a copy of the PLAN file and save as "Fern-R1.plan" (maybe even put is in a new folder and keep all LAYOUT new sheets in the same folder). This file is now completely up to date, but not the same as the contract document, which I keep for future reference if needed. I would then make a new LAYOUT titled "Fern-A1R1.layout" This contains the current plan. I now "cloud" around all of the changes made to the original "Fern-A1.layout" file. Once printed and issued this is the new working document for Sheet A1.0 so any other information on the sheet has to be included or it is dropped. This is why I think it best to keep each sheet simple.

Often a change effects other layout sheets, such as elevations. So if I have a sheet A2 I will have to remake it call it A2R1.

This process continues each time there is a change so at the end the plan file is totally complete, and the latest set of drawings (layouts) contain all of the information. This means that any sheets that did not get revisions, say A5, will still be A5. Some sheets may have only R1 revisions and some may have R2, R3, etc. This means that one must keep a list of all current sheets and make sure the contractor an subs are using them.

Is there a better way????

I commonly use the clients last name, then today's date for plan file and layout revisions. Often times City's require layouts in two sizes so I add the intended paper size as part of the layout's file name along with the client's name and the date. Been using this system since 1999.

DJP

I was speaking to file (.plan and .layout) management and not page management. Each page (.layout file) has its own story to tell, its specific purpose to fulfill, Layout pages would be named "site plan.layout", "First Floor Plan.layout", "First Floor Electrical Layout" etc and those files saved to and kept in the same folder (Difrectory) on your hard drive as your various plan files for a single project, assuming you are using Home Designer Pro.

DJP

• Solution

Dave,

Thanks for your response. Is this the idea?

My original plan for client named Fern on Dec 1, 2014 might be Fern 120114.plan. A first floor layout would be Fern 120114 First Floor Plan.layout. A sheet with elevations would be Fern 120114 Elevations.layout.

Let's say I revise the first floor plan on Dec 5, but none of the information on the Elevation sheet changes. I make a copy of the original plan and rename it Fern 120514.plan. The new first floor plan would be Fern 120514 First Floor Plan.layout. On that sheet I would cloud the changes. The date of the plan file and layout file match.

The Elevation sheet may have information from the original plan file that did not change so it remains the same. This would mean that I would have to maintain the original plan file and all revised files. Is this correct?

If later in the job, Dec 20 an Elevation changes but nothing changes on the First Floor Plan. Do I make a copy of the current revised plan file, rename it Fern 122014.plan and generate elevations, make the corrections then create a whole new layout Fern 122014 Elevations.layout? This could be a lot of work. 

Or do I make the corrections to the original plan file, allow any dynamic links to operate and generate the elevations and make any other corrections to the original elevation sheet and rename it Fern 122014 Elevations.layout? The links would still work, but I will have lost the reference to the plan file from which it was created. If this is the method, I can add the plan file name to the title block.

I know this is involved, but I do appreciate your help.

Mike G

For renovations and additions you always have two plan files: the as-built that shows demo walls and other demo instructions and the second plan file is the one that shows the changes or additions. How you name those plan files is your business.

The for construction documents you have as many different layout files as you have printed pages that constitute the "plans" of the project, each layout file named for what it communicates of the project, all kept in a single folder or directry on your hard drive.

DJP