Struggling with 1/2 story garage

AngieRobshaw

I can't find a lot of information on 1 1/2 story building. There is a 1 1/2 story only over the garage. There are multiple problems I'm running into. One is the exposed rafters that I can't seem to fix. Second I can't figure out how to make the walls go all the way to the ceiling. I have made it work with the top being attic wall, but I don't think that is correct. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Angie

Cabrera Template.plan

9 minutes ago, AngieRobshaw said:

One is the exposed rafters that I can't seem to fix.

Where?

10 minutes ago, AngieRobshaw said:

Second I can't figure out how to make the walls go all the way to the ceiling.

What walls?

The exposed rafters are due to you having ordered the software to build framing when the plan is still needing adjustments. You should only build framing when you have the 3d model perfect (it needs some tweaking and cleaning up).

Where the rafters are currently exposed, is due to the way your room over the garage was 3D modeled. to cover up and make smooth the ceiling you can using "Ceiling Planes" to smooth out that ceiling and for camera, views turn off "Framing, Roof Rafters" layers so they do not clutter up your interior views. The dormer needs a little tweaking and adjusting to close its gaps in the ceiling as well. Otherwise a good job on what you have done so far! I noticed in a couple of places that roof planes were mislocated (their fascias did not match in height)

DJP

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, solver said:

Where?

What walls?

The exposed rafters in the 1 1/2 story garage. In the second story part.

The walls in the second story above the garage. You can see the trim where the wall stops at the 2 foot mark. Above that is attic walls. Maybe that is how you do it? But it seemed wrong to me.

Thank you,

Angie Robshaw

10 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

The exposed rafters are due to you having ordered the software to build framing when the plan is still needing adjustments. You should only build framing when you have the 3d model perfect (it needs some tweaking and cleaning up).

Is there a way to undo the "build framing" ? Or do I just have to work around it?

Thank you for pointing out the facia differences I'll get that fixed.

Thank you for your encouragement. This is about my 4th redraw of this plan and my eyes are starting to cross. :)

The room above the garage has a short ceiling height. Guessing you did that to get the roof where you wanted it, with either auto or manual roof planes.

The program sees everything above as attic. 

Once the roof is correct, or if you are using manual roofs, raise the ceiling to where it should be.

Like David mentioned, no need to be building framing until the end of the process, but it is good to leave Auto Rebuild Foundation on, so as you move walls the foundation responds.

Check your 2nd floor walls too as several don't align with the walls below.

I'd also suggest auto building the roof, until it becomes too much effort to get just what you want, then switch to manual.

ht1.thumb.png.e9154ad2a1bc99cbd09113a54b700583.png

• Like 1