How do you specify one or more insulation layers WITHIN wall framing studs?

Tammlen

This should be easy, but how in the heck do you specify one or more types of insulation that is WITHIN the framing studs? 

If I specify wall type "Siding-6", I get a wall with studs displaying in 3D framing overview, but no insulation showing, between exterior and interior siding, in doll house view (just empty space).  And no insulation listing in the material list, just the materials for the exterior and interior layers.

If I change the "fir stud" material to an insulation, like "mineral wool", now mineral wool shows in 3D doll house.  And is in material list (under framing). But framing has disappeared in 3D framing overview.

If I use "insulation with studs", which appears as fiberglass pink, it shows in 3DC doll house, but framing still not showing in 3D framing overview.  And insulation lists as just "insulation with studs".

If I specify two main layers, fir studs and mineral wool, I get two separate layers (an empty fir stud layer with a layer of mineral wool, side by side).  And wall is double the width.  And I can't change the layer number to specify that the framing and mineral wool are on the SAME layer in the wall.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I just updated to Pro version, so I am hoping it is just a learning curve problem.

Our insulation scheme for our house is to fill the stud bays with an air gap, then a radiant barrier, then a layer of Rigid Foam, then a layer of mineral wool.

I can set up a wall type with these as the main layers.  And they will list on the materials list, which is important for planning and estimating costs

But then no framing appears in the 3D framing overview, which looks weird. And if it doesn't, then will it also be missing from any framing material lists?

It seems I am trying to do something that is pretty common and should be easily handled by Pro version.  Would appreciate any help with this problem. Thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, Tammlen said:

Our insulation scheme for our house is to fill the stud bays with an air gap, then a radiant barrier, then a layer of Rigid Foam, then a layer of mineral wool.

Are you saying there will be no insulation in the stud bays?

Thanks. New to this.  I'll update my account info. Just upgraded to Chief Architect Home Designer Pro 2021.  It is in an old 80+ house we are renovating.  Currently, there is no insulation.  Just the wall studs on 24 o.c. with wood shiplap attached to outside. We want to preserve the old exterior shiplap. Removing it will cause too much damage and not in budget.  So will bring it to code by layering insulation between the studs.

So you want multiple layers of insulation within the stud bay.

I cannot think of a way to show that, and I'm not sure you need it.

This is the materials list for a default wall and it shows wall insulation.

Isn't this really all you need to calculate your materials?

ht1.thumb.png.f3b0efdc06a94ed0d2a31e073d7e71ef.png

Ok. Guess I'll just have "insulation-only" walls, to get the materials list.  But having walls, whose framing won't display in the 3D framing overview, is disappointing, especially when I'm trying to show the building inspector what we are planning. I find it strange the framing part of this software doesn't accommodate a common practice of filling stud bays with insulation. But thanks anyway. Just have to work around the problem, maybe with two different models.

13 minutes ago, Tammlen said:

I find it strange the framing part of this software doesn't accommodate a common practice of filling stud bays with insulation.

It does -- it does it automatically. You just cannot specify the insulation.

17 minutes ago, Tammlen said:

But having walls, whose framing won't display in the 3D framing overview, is disappointing,

I don't understand this. Start a new plan. Draw 4 Siding-6 walls to form a room. Build framing if it's not already and take a 3D framing overview.

Thanks for the help. But in a software that costs $600 to buy, I wasn't expecting having to accept an auto-generated one-size-fits-all insulation material between studs.  Figured a $600 app would be able to easily handle what is commonly called a "flash and batt" or "hybrid" insulation method. 

Of course I can keep track of the different insulation materials in my own spreadsheet.  But it's an extra step I wasn't expecting.  And the 3D views will not be as representative of our actual project as I was hoping for. 

Guess I'll just submit this issue as an improvement suggestion to the Pro 2021 version.  But I appreciate your input.  Even though I'd gone thru the tutorials, wasn't sure if there was some framing setting I was not understanding.  Thanks again.

• Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Tammlen said:

And the 3D views will not be as representative of our actual project as I was hoping for. 

If you really feel you need a 3D representation, it's easy enough to do it manually.

This would typically be detailed in a 2D section of a wall.

ht1.thumb.png.7080c2762db257290deb22d103032997.png

I do not know how, exactly he did that example but in Pro you could manually create some framing to emulate a wall,section then using resized soffits (cabinet tools) and assigned the appropriate materials emulate that view for a detail. You could also use custom slaps to emulate the insulation layers also.

DJP

My 2 cents is that they would probably be fine with and possibly prefer to see your insulation method called out on the section view notes/details of the house. Most inspectors I have dealt with are more of a "nuts and bolts" person than seeing pictures.

• Upvote 1

**Semi-solved my problem**

Found a workaround where I can get the program to build studs in at least the thickest layer of my insulation.  So now my hybrid insulation walls appear in the Framing 3D view.   And I also have all the insulation layers calculating in the Materials list.

If anyone is interested.... I did it by temporarily adjusting the material structure of the insulation layer to "Framing", instead of "Other".  Then used the wall framing tools and unchecking "auto build" and "from layer".  Then I checked Build the wall.  This causes it to draw wall studs within the insulation, which now displays in 3D Framing view.  Then I reset the insulation material structure back to "Other" and it lists in the Materials list along with my other main wall insulation layers

Kind of squirrel-ly but whatever works. 

Don't know why they have where you can uncheck generating from wall type, allowing stud spec entry, noting stud width will be based on the main layer thickness, ....because that just doesn't seem to work.  Not unless the main wall has a layer material with a structure specified as "Framing".  And then on build, studs are only as wide as that layer, not the total thickness if you have multiple layers.

Maybe this is a bug?  But at least I was able to find a workaround and get close to what I was trying to do. 

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2020 at 6:12 AM, DavidJPotter said:

I do not know how, exactly he did that example but in Pro you could manually create some framing to emulate a wall,section then using resized soffits (cabinet tools) and assigned the appropriate materials emulate that view for a detail. You could also use custom slaps to emulate the insulation layers also.

DJP

from my understanding you only can show the insulation layer in the frame only in pro? and not architecture? so what is the difference between Studs and studs with insulation because from the picture in the program it shows studs with the bays filled so I'm completely confused 

insulation with studs.PNG