How to match roof gable lines

thammond

I've downloaded the trail version of home designer architect 2021 and trying it out to see if I would like to purchase.  So far I like it.  I'm working on the roof right now.  It's a gable style roof and trying to get the roof that is located over the entry and porch area to match up with the roof that is over the master bedroom (keep roof over master bedroom alone and adjust entry roof to match).  Hopefully the screen shot I took clearly shows the mismatch I'm talking about.  I believe the reason for the mismatch is due to the fact that the front wall of the dinning room is set back a bit from the front wall of the master bedroom.

So is there a way to adjust this when using the roof auto build function.  Or will I need to manually create the roof.  I have not been able to find anything so far in the various tutorials or the reference manual that answer this question.  I may decide to try creating the roof manually anyways just to see how to do it in this package. Also can you have part of the roof created on auto and part of the roof manually built?

Thanks,

Tim

image.thumb.png.6ccb69f45f7c3c9d0eda03a9dbffc315.png

You want to raise the porch roof until it matches the roof to its right?

Auto roofs build over rooms, so raise the ceiling height in the Porch room.

And Architectural only has auto roofs, you would need Pro to do manual.

thammond

Welcome to the club and to this site...You will find that the experienced users of Chief Architect are excellent tutors and very giving of their time...I will offer this unsolicited opinion on the various versions of HD 2021...

I am a very experienced constructor but a some what weak software guy.As I searched this forum prior to making my decision I quickly learned that to build models in the real world mode I needed to get HD2020Pro...Eric and DJP, two prolific tutors on this site can virtually build any model you can dream...and they understand how the tool works...and the steepest part of the learning curve is learning how the program does what it does...extensive construction knowledge does not always help you solve problems...you can't bully the software into "thinking" like you...conversely, when you gain experience, that knowledge allows you to look into the model and determine what is actually happening...good or bad...

Without knowing your background but reading between the lines when you said you might have to build roofs manually, I think you would be better served by looking at the trial version of Pro...yes, it is more money but it does so much more...my 2 cents worth...donated for free

Happy Trails in your search...

Regards

Rick

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the help and suggestions Eric and Ricatic.  I will give the Pro version i try before I buy.

I was able to get the two roofs to match up by raising the ceiling of the porch room.

Nest question.  I have a little artifact showing up on the ceiling of the porch, see picture.  I have an invisible wall on the front side of the porch which I think is causing it.  How can I fix that up.

image.thumb.png.cc537054ab7f543a14876bf85c52fa86.png

Another question that I'm hoping to get help with.  I have a wall that a portion of the wall is below the roof line (an interior wall of a cathedral ceiling) and part of the wall is above the roof line (exterior wall).  See the picture below.  Both views are looking at the same wall.  One taken from inside in the living room looking to the Kitchen and the other in the same orientation but from the outside. So I'm trying to figure out how to define a portion of the wall as an interior wall and a portion as an exterior wall.  The wall in question is the wall above the wall between the living room and kitchen. I'm thinking it should be a knee wall but I can't figure out how to do that?

image.thumb.png.4c951c39f1e3f2707f11d9198502fb2e.png

4 hours ago, solver said:

Read about Lower Wall Type When Split bu Butting Roof.

Sorry Eric, but I have no idea what you mean.  Read about it where (couldn't find anything similar in the reference manual)?  Can you give another hint please.

I've thought about pony wall, but as far as I can tell the top and bottom portions are split horizontally.  Then I looked at a knee wall and got an error message when trying it, something about a parallel wall.  Either I'm doing that wrong or its the wrong thing to do.  Then I thought about using the break feature, but can't figure out any way to break a wall diagonally. Can I use the soffit function?  It seems like you can assign different types of materials (drywall) to overlay existing materials and it sounds like it ends at a ceiling when extended upward.

I realize that the likes/dislikes poll is really meaningless as long as no decorum violations have been committed...somebody dinged me for my only post on this thread...why would you ding a member here for providing real world experiences to a new member? Someone who has asked for help in deciding which version to buy...the anonymous nature of the system encourages cowardice...whoops...might get dinged again...

Regards

Rick