Siding on gable end ghosting

ricatic

I have spent a bunch of time trying to resolve an attic wall gable end that ghosts the default board and batten siding through the lap siding that was I changed...the wall is the attic wall over the main house at the utility room...you can see the flickering between the two surface types...i believe it is an  attic wall issue...I have tried all the tricks I know of to rebuild(???) the wall to remove the obvious wall staggers...I even cheated on tho porch ceiling by putting a soffit under its ceiling,,,it is strange because the same defaults and overhang builds are on the backside balcony were implemented...This is not a game changer in the overall plan development but this will be my house and I want to use as much skill in modeling it as possible...Time to call in the experts...

Thanks

Regards

Rick

Kingston_Ranch_WO_revision_2.plan

17 minutes ago, ricatic said:

you can see the flickering between the two surface types

That's usually an indication there are 2 walls in the same space. You can usually tell by selecting in a camera view. You will see how walls overlap.

Eric,

That is one of the tricks I knew...and I deleted all the layers on that wall...I deleted down to the attic walls which, as far as I know, never completely go away...I was very careful when I built this revision from scratch to avoid the attic wall conundrum and all walls were modeled as expected...The problem arises when I change the gables from B&B to fiber lap...when I try to change the attic wall to  fiber lap the whole model changes...the lap siding is applied with the material dropper/painter...all surfaces react as expected except this one...

The model was built in 3 phases; the main house with 40' span,,, then the interior walls for the porches and then the garage with full overhangs...it built exactly as I expected until the porch walls are made into railings...Rear porch is set as a balcony and blew off the entire return...front porch rail build changed the OH to 36'return...I manually built the return on the rear and extended to the wall...I just made the front to match...I admit this was frustrating...Sorry for the long winded explanation but help is needed...

Regards

Rick

One more question regarding the soffit I placed in the front porch ceiling...I did that to hide some sins at the ceiling/overhang junction...I have tried to hide the exposed framing when this ceiling models...I realize it only can be seen when looking up and back towards the OH but I would not build it that way so I want to model it how it builds in the real world...is it a fascia/sub-fascia specification issue...maybe you can help there as well...

6 minutes ago, ricatic said:

That is one of the tricks I knew...and I deleted all the layers on that wall...I deleted down to the attic walls which, as far as I know, never completely go away.

Nothing to do with Layers.

You have dragged the bottom of the gable wall down, probably in an effort to cover something.

OK -- looked at the plan. Here is what I see.

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/G_DVWPceABY?hd=1

By layers I meant deleting surfaces then deleting the wall itself...when I embarked on the mission to fix this better than I had kludged it there were 4 click deletes needed to get the wall to disappear...and you are correct as usual...I dragged some planes around to try to cover the gap...knowing full well that it was using a band-aid when a tourniquet was needed...

Eric,

Thanks for the video...never occurred to me to use a pony wall...but....the problem I was kludging a fix for is still there...the hole in the wall looking into the porch roof cavity...I pulled the surfaces around to try to hide it...I could make it go away but still got ghosting...

Try not to reshape wall top and bottom, unless there is no other way.

And keep in mind that when you change an auto generated Attic wall, the software will no longer automatically rebuild it. By changing it, you have taken ownership.

On the front porch. You can use the same Pony Wall trick to get the program to fill in the gap.

ht1.thumb.png.abdd4929bc49454a3e01b456bd86df67.png

• Upvote 1

Thanks Eric...I did the corrections you suggested and they helped a lot...but in the process I noticed that the roof returns were set to flat...as soon as I set the returns to slope...:):):)

I attacked the visual problem with the exposed framing by looking at how it was framed...I changed the fascia to 8.5 inches tall and the sub fascia to 7.25 inches...I then set the ceiling soffit height at 94"...exposed framing was gone and I had a nice looking reveal...

I mean it when I say thank you to you and the other experts on this site for your help...

Regards

Rick