Roof Issues (at least for a newbie)

jfishbac

Go to solution Solved by solver,

Hi there,

Home Designer version:

post-1327-0-59393300-1419088933_thumb.png

House Plans file:

House Plans.plan

Brand new to the forum and to Home Designer. I'm in the process of buying my first home and while I'm obsessed with it, I want to design it using this software (which I find awesome so far). In my former life I used CAD software regularly and just picked up HD for the first time last night. Here are my issues...

• In my house, I have 10' ceilings on the first floor. The second floor has 8' ceilings at their highest point, but the ceiling slopes on the sides where the roof is.
    • What is the best way to handle this type of ceiling/roof interaction?
      • My initial approach is to set the ceiling height to the height where the roof begins to slope on the room's walls at 42" high. I then "build" the roof, and subsequently change the room's ceiling height to 96", leaving an attic space above the ceiling. This seems to work, but it also seems unnecessarily tedious.
        • (Also...is there a name for this type of ceiling? Is this a Cape Cod ceiling?)
      • post-1327-0-15629500-1419088937_thumb.png
  • My home has two sections. The "main" section has a 12:12 roof pitch. The other section, the "kitchen," has a 6:12 pitch. Both roofs are gable style. I was able to get the gable walls to work properly on the main section, but the kitchen section's gable wall does not seem to be working properly. Any suggestions?
    • post-1327-0-18328900-1419088935_thumb.png
    • post-1327-0-91190000-1419088935_thumb.png