Attic Truss Help

AndyStandley

Hi, I have a large central span of attic space that I want to have attic trusses with 9ft ceilings. I have tried multiple times, but have become frustrated. I believe if I can get second story ceilings built, I will know how to proceed, but I can't get ceilings built. This may be because the walls and roof are incomplete. 

5-pier plan lacking attic trusses.plan

Hi Andy

I opened your plan and do not see any 2nd floor at all...what are you thinking about for a floor plan upstairs...need a second floor layout to get started down the road to trusses...

I will pass on a bit of advice I was given by DJP...don't get lost in trying to build attic trusses...Chief does not provide engineered trusses...only artwork...the truss mfg will be the final arbiter as to what you end up with for room width...roof pitch will determine the ceiling height...a stick built frame up of the second floor will provide  an approximate room size...

Edit: I would like to expand on my comment about DJP’s advice. As an experienced constructor, it was difficult for me to step away from “truss” design. I wanted to have a somewhat accurate idea about what size room was available after truss design. Just last week I had a design discussion with the truss supplier. He provided information I was not cognizant of about scissor and vault type trusses that did make sense but was in conflict with my design needs...in the design I am working with now, I wanted a half vault ceiling with a 9 pitch roof and a six pitch ceiling plane...not possible for reasons which I was unaware...so 4 pitch is what we get...this is caused because the truss at 38’ span and 9 pitch has to be a piggy back design...I only bring this up because Andy’s  12 pitch with a 36’ span will likely trigger a similar result...likely but not certainly...only the truss builder really knows...hope this helps and not confuses...

Hoping this helps

Regards

Rick

• Upvote 1