Garage with dormer

chiefjdennis

Hi,

I'm trying to build a car garage with 2 main bays and one additional bay.  The main garage has a 2nd floor with a 9 pitch roof and shed style 4 pitch dormer on right side.  The additional bay is supposed to have a 4 pitch shed style roof that encompasses the dormer and meets up with the main garage roof (See "Garage_Front.jpg, "Garage_RightSide).

In the attached plan, I could only get the pitch on the 3rd bay roof set to 1 without program warnings related to dormer.

Can anyone suggest how to get this roof to wrap around the dormer at a 4 pitch?  Does this require manipulating the roof plane manually?

Many Thanks,

Jeff

GreenDunesDrive.plan

Garage_Front.jpg

Garage_RightSide.jpg

GreenDunesDrive.plan

DesiredChange.jpg

I tried but could not download your shared plan. I do not think this roof design is possible in Architectural, except "Manually" like Eric said. I say this because I believe the dormer must cross two roof planes (the dormer tool is NOT programmed to do this by itself), so I believe that you need to upgrade to Home designer Pro to accomplish this roof design, because some manual roof editing will be needed to get this done.

DJP

He manually laid out the walls of the dormer and then set its walls on the roof tab as stated in the "Shed Roof Tab of the Build roof Dialog - Roof Styles Tab", preprogrammed all the other walls as necessary to obtain gables, sheds and hip roofs and then "Auto Built" roofs. It is NOT really in any way "automatic" but rather the outcome is based upon how you prepared to cause the eventual outcome.

DJP

Since this is a small and simple structure, and you have Pro, so why not use its manual roof tools.

Getting a roof like this to auto build is possible as I show above, but much easier and far quicker with manual roof planes.

10 hours ago, chiefjdennis said:

Hi David,

Still not 100% clear... so the roof planes didn't have to be manipulated in any way (cut and reshaped)?

Sorry you had trouble loading the plan... I'll try uploading again.

Thanks,

Jeff

GreenDunesDrive.plan

Eric showed you an example of what I suggested: "Creating the dormer walls manually...") by "Manual" in this case you just manually draw the dormers, properly pre-set the walls as per each roof type (Explained in detail in the "Build Roof Dialog - Roof Styles Tab) and then when finished with set up you then order roofs built. The result is evidence of your competent work or evidence of your mistakes.

Once studied and practiced with all your roofs for this design can be done completely manually using only roof creation  and editing tools available in Pro but like I said, it requires Study and then lots of "fail and succeed" practice to get the feel of how to use those tools to accomplish what you wish, it is a learned skill and not "Automatic".

DJP

Rebuild the plan starting from scratch. 

Uncheck ignore 2nd floor, set the first floor ceiling height to what you want, set the main pitch to what you want.

Set the overhangs to what you want, I would not edit the floor and ceiling structures, unless there is reason to do so.

The default ceiling heights for the Garage(s) is 120 1/2" but the default specification says 107 5/8".

Somehow 12" got added the ceiling height. The foundation auto rebuild is on, but yet can edit floor D

that setting should be greyed out until you uncheck auto rebuild foundation.

Build the second and lower the ceiling height to 48" or lower, set the pitch on the front wall of the one car garage to

4" or higher, build the dormer.

• 2 months later...

Hi Adry,

I didn't happen to catch the version of software your using which greatly effects how much control you have over building/manipulating roofs.  

There are some great tutorials on chief architect website regarding roofs https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/95/roofs.html

Likewise, there are some wonderful members some of whom offer training like David Potter (see post above for more contact information)

http://djpdesigns.com /My You Tube Channel/ Follow me on Facebook /My Sketchfab site/My Houzz Page

Hope this helps.

Jeff