Issues - front overhang, roof lines, front gable

ciser123

Hello,

I'm trying to get the basics of exterior walls and a roof line for a house we're considering building, with three things that are hanging me up currently.  Attached picture #1 shows the overhang on the front somehow being much wider than the default 18" setting.  I can't figure out how it's doing that.  The second picture shows two roof lines that I would like to match up for the back of the house.  I want the front to have the stepped wall with large front-facing gable, but for both ridges to meet (albeit at different heights) and for the back roof to be on the same plane.  I feel like I'm butchering this, but hopefully that makes some sense.  The third picture shows the front gable already discussed.  How can you control the height of that thing?  I split the 2nd story wall (I created the second story as a fake, just to get the additional height for the look we're going for) into three sections, with the middle assigned full gable and the two outer sections assigned hip roof.  I would like the ridge on top of that gable "pop out" to match up with the top ridge line of the house, making the available area usable for a nice window lighting a vaulted interior.  I'm using Home Designer Suite 2019.  Thanks in advance for any advice or help you can throw my way!

image.png

image.png

image.png

house on hill plan 3.plan

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your response!  I guess my Suite version doesn't have those capabilities you show in your snip above.  Here's what I see under the roof build option:

image.thumb.png.721b4b41376ff8664d459f650496306f.png

Is there another option to clean up those overhangs?

For the second issue, can you expound a little?  I'm not sure where to add walls to get those roof planes on the same line.  The upper ridge line needs to move towards the front of the house.

For the third issue with that nice large gable on the front elevation, the dormer option doesn't allow it to "break" the roof at the soffit/fascia line.  Here's what a dormer would look like:

image.thumb.png.c5064b920effec3d1f069ef03e1d1e9b.png

Is this another limitation to the Suite platform of the software?

Thank you!

Craig

Here's the link to that plan...

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/expanded-3-bed-modern-farmhouse-with-optional-bonus-room-51814hz

In Suite you have to build according to the floor plan, if you alter the plan, the roof may not build correctly.

I can explain how to build that plan, but it's easier to build it and then upload.

I'll be back with plan.

Everything Eric posted in his videos is 'spot on'.

The only thing he didn't address (I believe) is the 2nd floor back wall roof plane.

You built the 2nd floor with the back wall directly over the 1st floor back wall.

Move that wall (2nd floor back wall) closer to the front (gabled wall) until the roof plane is where you want it. :)

Eric - Thank you so much for the videos!  Videos are a great way to learn with everything so visual and easily followed.  I greatly appreciate it.

LawB10 - thanks for the information.  That floor plan is on a couple different house plan websites that I've seen.  I'm modifying it slightly (less bump outs, flatter roof pitch, etc.), but the general flow of the floor plan is what we're looking for.  I'm hoping to get it drawn up and get a material list developed to get some early cost estimates put together to even see if this will be feasible.

Jo_Ann - You hit my original 2nd question on the head.  Moving that 2nd story back wall towards the front gable was perfect.  I now have two different plans to work with - one with the back wall taller, and one with the roof planes together!  

Thanks to you all again so much.  You made my day!  Hopefully I can keep moving forward with the plan without a lot of hiccups from here on out.

• 3 years later...

I'm new to CA and this is a house a student is working on but we can not figure out how to get the front wall taller and make the gable that's in the center of the house...any help would be greatly appreciated...you could email me directly if that is better...hodgess@cocke.k12.tn.us...thanks...