I have read the reference material and watched several tutorial videos and can't seem to find a solution to my issues with interior dimensions. Admittedly, I am very new at this program (used to use 2020 Design) so it may very well just be some settings that need adjusting (I hope) and not that this program can't do what I need it to do (I doubt). I have three items below that I cannot figure out. 

I am designing primarily kitchens and bathrooms so I'm not working with entire floor plans which means I may only have a simple rectangle for a floor plan at times. When I turn on auto dimensions for a single room all of the dimensions appear on the inside making the view very cluttered. Is there a way to have auto dimensions appear on the outside of the room that you're working on? 

I've set default widths for my interior doors and windows. My default auto interior dimensions for locate objects is set to measuring openings at the casing. When I place a door or window, my default width is being placed on the exterior of the wall and not interior of the room and the auto dimension is adding an additional 6.5" on the interior side to account for the trim on the inside. (i.e. my default for a window is set at 41.5" which includes trim. I place the window, and that measurement is placed on the exterior wall while the dimension on the inside of the room where I need it shows 48" so I'm having to adjust manually which defeats the whole purpose of the default?). 

Finally, is there a way to turn off exterior dimensions altogether? I won't ever need them as I'm only designing kitchens and baths and they just clutter my view. I can only find the option to turn off Auto or Manual dimensions under the Tools/Display Options menu.

Again, I'm hoping someone can help if it really is just something that's off with my settings. This is the third consecutive night I've been at this trying to figure it out and I don't seem to be getting very far. 

Many thanks!

You should consider creating a new template once you have things setup as you like. That way, all new plans will pick up your defaults.

I posted a how to in Tips & Techniques. Search for template.

Dimensions in general. I would recommend you experiment with using Temporary Dimensions to locate things. This will keep the clutter down. Once you have things positioned, or as needed, add manual dimensions.

Here I placed a window, clicked on its interior side and temporary dimensions allow it to be positioned.

You probably want to set your dimensions to locate wall surfaces too.

ht1.thumb.png.2ac0a596ee1b421727510babae08d17a.png

15 minutes ago, sea_lyons said:

is there a way to turn off exterior dimensions altogether?

Edit>Delete Objects

Choose to delete Auto Exterior Dimensions and the program will ask if you want to turn them off -- say Yes.

You can turn off Auto Roofs there too.

27 minutes ago, sea_lyons said:

Is there a way to have auto dimensions appear on the outside of the room that you're working on? 

Not auto interior dimensions.

30 minutes ago, sea_lyons said:

I've set default widths for my interior doors and windows. My default auto interior dimensions for locate objects is set to measuring openings at the casing. When I place a door or window, my default width is being placed on the exterior of the wall and not interior of the room and the auto dimension is adding an additional 6.5" on the interior side to account for the trim on the inside. (i.e. my default for a window is set at 41.5" which includes trim. I place the window, and that measurement is placed on the exterior wall while the dimension on the inside of the room where I need it shows 48" so I'm having to adjust manually which defeats the whole purpose of the default?). 

I'm a bit confused. Maybe a couple of screen captures would help show the problems.

Your window size does not include trim. For example, the 32" wide window shown above with casing would be 37.25" to the outside of the casing.

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much for your reply. I am currently trying to familiarize myself with everything so I can create a template with my preferred defaults. These are just the things that were tripping me up so far.

18 minutes ago, solver said:

Edit>Delete Objects

Choose to delete Auto Exterior Dimensions and the program will ask if you want to turn them off -- say Yes.

You can turn off Auto Roofs there too.

I've attached a screen grab of my menu for Edit>Delete Objects. I don't see an option to delete only Auto Exterior Dimensions - only Dimensions, Automatic. I assume this would include my interior dimensions as well which I don't think I'd want turned off?

1456399517_ScreenShot2020-03-13at11_19_11PM.thumb.png.d372f2fc22a34e8f33892497c9d33e95.png

31 minutes ago, solver said:

Your window size does not include trim. For example, the 32" wide window shown above with casing would be 37.25" to the outside of the casing.

Okay, so I need to change how I take my measurements then to make this a little easier on myself I suppose, ha. The question you were confused on is also clarified by the fact that window size does not include trim. (I had 0" exterior casing and 3" interior casing in my default. So, under the assumption that the dimension included trim, I thought that the default dimension was being placed on the exterior of the room. Hope that makes sense, not that it matters though... moot point now.)

Again, thanks very much for clarifying and making this switch a little easier on me!

3 minutes ago, sea_lyons said:

Auto Exterior Dimensions - only Dimensions, Automatic. I assume this would include my interior dimensions as well which I don't think I'd want turned off?

They are beginning to discourage auto interior dimensions and have even removed the tools from the toolbar, but you can add them back.

I'll suggest again that you try using Temporary Dimensions as they only show when an object is selected. 

ht1.thumb.png.55e6de9a5f65310c49e6d6f72d401f25.png

Quick video

Watch on YouTube: https://youtu.be/MjU6T5nG4Qw

• Upvote 1

The video was very helpful. And yes I am already making use of the Temporary Dimensions although personally I think I would still find auto interior dimensions helpful in certain instances. Again, just personal preference!

Thanks again for your help Eric!