Help with roof

JimAlsup

Hello,

I have an addition/remodel for our own home in the building review process with the city and I have a few questions about the outside review agencies comments. Note:  I’m a retired software eng. with no experience in this field.  First they said:

“At sheet A-7 clearly show the locations and detail all roof crickets.  The minimum slope shall be ¼” per foot and include the materials used for the construction.”

My plans didn’t include a couple of crickets because a local architect/friend said I didn’t need to. She showed me a 2019 plan with no crickets shown (same city), so perhaps there is a trust issue.  I’ve added the crickets as shown in the attached image.  They are 16’ with a ½” slope.  I’m a little concerned about this shallow slope and could raise it to ¾”, thoughts?  How should I spec the cricket be made and with what materials?

Second, they want me to “provide and refer to a typical skylight installation detail on the plans”.  I’m not sure exactly what they are asking for.  Anybody have an example of this over a low (1.5”) sloping vaulted roof?

Thank you,
Jim

roof_discuss.pdf

In terms of shingle roofs, you cannot have a functioning roof system with shingles under a pitch of 3/12. Roofs that have a pitch less than 3/12 must be done with impervious roofing (sheets in rolls that you seal the seams). If you desire you can then shingle over the impervious, sheet roofing for appearances sake, it is a more expensive choice but one you can make.

In terms of your detail, I think you need to consult with a State Licensed Structural Engineer who can specify and Stamp your plans as well as provide details, that is my advice. Worth the money and this IS their business.

DJP

Hi David,

Thank you for your comments.

Like the 1.5" sloped steel standing seam roof on the raised roof above, the intention is to use some kind of metal over the cricket with hopefully no need for other top surfacing. The plans have already gone through structural without the crickets and I don't think this has any structurally impact as the adjacent roof structure will extend below and connect to the wall. The crickets is at most 2 feet wide at the top so no different than rafter widths.  If raising the slop to 3/4" is a better choice then I'm thinking I'll need some kind of structure overlay. I have no experience with any of this so I'm not sure how to describe it in the note and what kind of metal would be best.

Best,
Jim