"Flat Ceiling Over This Room"

Chelanman

In Pro, I’m trying to create a vaulted ceiling in a single story house with scissor trusses.  I started by trying to follow these instructions which supposedly apply to both Pro and Premier: 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00068/creating-a-vaulted-ceiling-and-scissor-trusses.html

But those instructions were of no help once I got to paragraph 2 of “To Build a Ceiling”.  The STRUCTURE panel of the Room Specification dialog is supposed to contain the feature “Flat Ceiling Over This Room”.   And I’m supposed to uncheck the box next to it.  But that feature isn’t even there.  I even tried to creating a practice structure -- a simple single story box floor plan with no luck creating a vaulted ceiling.  What's the issue here and how can I correct it?  Thank you.

51 minutes ago, Chelanman said:

The STRUCTURE panel of the Room Specification dialog is supposed to contain the feature “Flat Ceiling Over This Room”.   And I’m supposed to uncheck the box next to it.  But that feature isn’t even there. 

That option is always there.

Please post a screen capture or 3 showing the problem.

The check box to remove to obtain a common rafter ceiling (where the underside of the roof planes then form the "Ceiling" is worded in the dialog box as "Ceiling over this Room", take a look again please.

This may or may not achieve the look you wish depending upon the geometry of your roof planes over this room with its flat ceiling removed, so you may also need to create "Ceiling Planes (found under "Build - Roofs - Ceiling Planes" in your software. Without seeing a copy of your plan, I am just guessing but it is possible.

DJP

Thanks for assisting.

What I'm trying to do is pretty uncomplicated.   I'm not trying to create a flat ceiling.  Nor am I trying to create a ceiling plane that uses the underside of the roof rafters as the "ceiling".  I'm simply trying to input scissor trusses, in which case the underside of the bottom chords forms the ceiling.  And so I followed what appeared to be a very straight forward tutorial to do so until it led to a dead end (because this uncheck of "flat ceiling over this room" feature is apparently unavailable in my not-so-old software).  Perhaps that tutorial, which is supposedly applicable to fairly recent versions of Home Designer Pro like mine, should either be taken down or revised so that it gives proper instructions for creating a scissor truss ceiling.  Just a suggestion...

JimC   

www.chelanhouseworks.com

Home Designer Pro 2017

8 hours ago, Chelanman said:

(because this uncheck of "flat ceiling over this room" feature is apparently unavailable in my not-so-old software).

Do you understand 

9 hours ago, solver said:

Newer versions of the software use “Flat Ceiling Over This Room” instead of “Ceiling Over This Room”.

Your software isn't missing anything, newer versions simply added the word flat to be more descriptive.

8 hours ago, Chelanman said:

I'm simply trying to input scissor trusses, in which case the underside of the bottom chords forms the ceiling. 

You must have a ceiling plane drawn first. That's how the program knows where to build the bottom of the truss.