Dormer Construction Again

gspeasl

I am reposting this from another thread titled Dormer Construction as that post answered some of my questions, but my problem was slightly different.

That was a timely subject for what I am trying to do with exterior of my plan. I have been trying for several days now how to do this, so this was quite informative. The spin I am trying to put on this involves the gable/side walls being on the same plane. Hoping that someone can shed some additional light on this version. Attached is a plan that I played with after watching solver's video. Also included are a couple images of the barn style apartment I am trying to design. Both sides of this home would ideally have a covered storage/porch. The steeper pitch would be 8 or9 and the other would be 5 or 6. I would also like to include the post/beam elements that are shown in the first image close to the peak.

Thanks for any help that may be given....Greg

470 Kusmic Lane__Dormer.plan

CleanShot 2020-03-01 at 13.50.41@2x.png

CleanShot 2020-03-01 at 13.56.38@2x.png

The simple answer is to learn and use manual roofs.

Nothing wrong with starting with auto build, but you will save time and be less frustrated using manual instead of trying to coerce the auto builder to do what you want.

People will look at the image and see a full width dormer, I see a 2 story house with an extra U shaped roof plane -- something that may be added at any time.

Search for decorative truss. I've shown how to manually do them. You can also just use a truss generated by the program.

And try to build a complete model. If you want a porch, it should be there as it will make a difference in how the roof builds.

I'm confused as to which style roof you want, but I think that the roof pitches that you mentioned are not going to work.

The shed/dormer, and porch roofs need to be a lower pitch.

The main gable needs to be a higher pitch.

Which style are you wanting?

image.thumb.png.ed0db74316e00f7fe5a4678335ebe73a.png

1 hour ago, Jo_Ann said:

I'm confused as to which style roof you want, but I think that the roof pitches that you mentioned are not going to work.

The shed/dormer, and porch roofs need to be a lower pitch.

The main gable needs to be a higher pitch.

Which style are you wanting?

image.thumb.png.ed0db74316e00f7fe5a4678335ebe73a.png

Thank you, the image on the right side is exactly what I want. Did you create this plan? If so is it possible for you to upload it so that I can review how you accomplished this. 

Thanks again....Greg

You cannot use the dormer tools to do what you want.

Notice the wall on the dormer is not aligned over the wall below.

You will need to explode the dormer, and then the dormer roof becomes a manual roof plane.

28 minutes ago, gspeasl said:

so that I can review how you accomplished this. 

What part of the roof is giving you trouble?

I don't know if this will help you, because all the roof settings are very sensitive to room size and ceiling heights, and this was all done with "auto build roof".
If you manage to get your main roof correct, then the projection (at the peak of the main gable) is easy to do with manual roof control.  

Eric...What happened to your video?

Kusmic Lane roof.plan

On 3/1/2020 at 10:11 PM, solver said:

Watch on YouTube: https://youtu.be/R9Chn_LQO1M

This was extremely helpful, I am quite new to this program and generally more visual so this answered all my current questions and showed me the power of manual roofs. I will definitely explore this more as I am playing with perfecting the roofline that I want.  

Thank you for taking the time to put this together!!

Greg