HD Suite Roof Question

SBBranch

Hi all,

New member.  First post.

In case my profile doesn't show, I'm currently using HD Suite 2012 (soon to be 2020).  I'm a non-professional user who builds a home plan to see if I'm interested in it before I decide on a plan to buy/build.  I download the floorplan and build the plan by tracing the walls, etc, etc.

I can usually get everything to work as I want it too, except the roof.  No matter what plan I mess with, the roof never does right for me.  I'm sure it's either due to my lack of knowledge or program limitations.  I just can't figure out which one.

The current plan I'm working on is attached.  I've been trying to get the roof to look like the plan, but the garage is throwing it off.  All the walls are exterior, just because I was trying to see if that made a difference.  I'll go back and change them once I figure out the issue with the roof.  The interior walls don't match the plan at this point.  Just experimenting with the program.

On the left you can see the roof messes up when I turn on ceiling/roof over garage.  If I turn that of, the rest of the roof does correctly, but of course, there's no roof over the garage.

What do I need to do to get the garage roof to attach correctly?  I am not interested in buying Architectural or Pro, since I am only a "hobby user".

Thanks. 

EDIT:  I have pored over the training links, but I can't find anything that addresses my problem in HD Suite.  They all seem to be geared for more advanced versions.

bridgewater pics.jpg

23 minutes ago, SBBranch said:

Since I don't own the plan, would that be any kind of copyright violation to upload it?

Is the plan publicly available on the internet?

The request was for your Home Designer plan file, not the one you are copying from.

LawB10, the plan is not corrupted.

It was done in an early version of Suite, and that is how it will display.

I think the floor and ceiling have no ceiling finish thickness, because SBBranch set it that way for some unknown reason.

In this particular plan, I think that drawing all the interior walls before getting the roof correct, is detrimental.

Thanks for looking.  i'll keep messing with it.  One thing I noticed is that the front wall builds the attic wall automatically, but it extends the attic wall over the garage.  there is no wall under that attic wall in the garage.  I can't figure out why it does that. 

I don't know if the 2020 version would do anything differently.  I downloaded the trial version and there didn't seem to be any changes in the tools and I didn't see any easy fixes for it.  I don't know if buying it is worth the squeeze for no real new functionality. 

2 minutes ago, Jo_Ann said:

because SBBranch set it that way for some unknown reason.

Because I really have no idea what I'm doing :)

I was wondering about the interior wall issue before roof build, but I've tried it without the interior walls too.  Didn't work.  but I'll keep that in mind when I do other floor plans.

This floor plan, in particular, requires some unconventional strategy to get auto build roof to work somewhat correctly.

You will be doing a disservice to yourself if you do not also add the porch and the garage bump-out extension, when building this roof.

Jo_Ann, I have seen this same problem in later versions of Suite and Architectural, both the roof and foundation does not build

in Doll House view.

You may have stumbled on the reason for that, the interior walls were built first, then the external walls were built.

Even though this is a single story, you still need a second floor for that part of the roof to build, also the Porch size

will effect how the Garage roof builds.

Here's how it looks with current uploaded planBridgewater.thumb.png.1111da882b771b576fc861c8d9ae1031.png

Excellent.  So it least I know now that it can be done.  

So what I tried to do that still didn't work for me, was to trace the outline on floor 1 with external walls (without garage).  Then I built a basement from that outline.  After that, I added internal walls just to get the gable.  I then added the garage.  I didn't do anything with floor 2.  

What are you saying should comprise floor 2?

Thanks.

When you build from a floor plan, you build all at once, not one section at a time, you keep auto rebuild roof and auto rebuild

foundation ON until completion. When you build from a floor plan, it's not a good idea to alter it to how you think it should be,

that's why you are having roof problems. Always draw the external walls first and then the interior walls/rooms according to the

floor plan.

LawB10,

I'm able to get the entire roof to draw correctly, except for when I add the garage.

I added a second floor, but I'm obviously not doing something correctly.  It keeps messing up the rest of the roof.

I have not added any internal walls at all.

What is your point about the second floor that is required to do this?  And what height did you set the second floor to?  Or are you saying second floor only for the garage?

Thanks.

This is not perfect, but close.

It is all done using only the tools available in Suite (except the gable millwork decorations).

The garage roof is enabled by careful use of 2 invisible wall "rooms" with "no roof in this room" setting.

One "room" is at the end of the porch (next to garage).

The other "room" is on the back wall of the garage (adjacent to the porch).

These "rooms" allow better control of the overhangs, that are causing trouble in that area.

image.thumb.jpeg.673704067071c594abea844ffd324b9f.jpeg      image.thumb.jpeg.b8a20ad051b10e1745d033cfde47fb61.jpeg

• Upvote 1

That looks great.  Just like the one on the webpage for the building site.

I think that's how I did it, too, with invisible walls.  Figured it out completely by chance.

One thing I was wondering about the real house is how does the water drain off the roof where the porch and garage meet.  Looks like a good spot for water intrusion.

I'm still debating on whether or not to upgrade to 2021.  I downloaded the trial, but I don't see where there are any more features.  The tools all seem to be basically the same.