Complicated Exterior Siding Challenge

dwaslesen

I am trying to recreate in Home Designer Pro (current rented  version), a mock up of a re-siding design for my house that I did in Photoshop.  I finally got the basic features created as shown in the first attachment, but I want to add all the trim and various sections of siding as shown in the second attachment. I know I can do a horizontal split using a pony wall, but when I've tested the break wall tool, it will not let me make precise breaks, probably because it's changing the framing components too.  With a sophisticated program like this, I would think there would be a way to place materials on walls without having to 'break them'.  I've read about placing trim using the soffit tool but haven't tried it.  The biggest challenge seems to be the siding materials.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Home Designer 1.jpg

Home Designer 2.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.  As for design tips, I'm always open to ideas.  The goal for our siding project is to break up the monolithic horizontal look of this rather plain structure without doing major structural revisions.  The attached is what it looks like now.  Since you have an opinion on the design and you're obviously good at Home Designer, I take it you do this for a living.  Starting from an initial concept sketch provided by an architect friend of ours, and with occasional feedback from him, I've been working on this for a month or two now.  I've tried a quite a few surface/color combinations all within the basic framework of what I presented.  While I feel this is 'balanced' and provides a focal point with the front door and bumpout,  Our architect friend doesn't think it's too busy, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'not coherent' (new term for me).  I'd like to understand what you mean.  The existing windows and soffit/facia is a dark brown and we didn't want to re-do all that, either by painting or replacement.  If anything could change from my perspective, it might be the stone facade as it has lots of orange it it (left over from a previous design).  Again, if you would like to share your ideas, I'm open.  Dave

House Clean.jpg

Thank you for your interest,  We are aware of the landscaping need as we have torn out most of the very overgrown foundation shrubs and haven't done anything with that yet.  Our architect friend also encouraged us to go darker, even with lower contrast trim.  I've attached one of my earlier versions that is the darkest one I came up with which my wife and I liked.  I've been trying to stay within readily available materials.  I like the Monogram Timber Blend Lap in the attached but it is discontinued and there are limited quantities still available which we would have to commit to sooner than later.  I also just got my hands on a piece of the Cedar Impressions D7 staggered shake which is in that design and I'm not sure I like the excessive relief and plastic look of them.  That's why I started looking at all pre-finished smartside products which are an upgrade to vinyl.  Previously, I was trying to get rid of all the brown except the window sashes, but our friend encouraged us to keep the brown window trim to make the windows look larger and, in my words, 'to embrace the brown'.  The DK Clove color is almost exactly what our soffits and facia are.  Our friend's original concept was to have a couple colums by the door, but I didn't want to start making holes in the ground, so it when from there to attached columns to pilasters to just wrapping wide boards on the corners of the bumpout to simulate columns and one actual column on the door stoop.  One other thing, in the most recent picture you will see a solid rectangle in the lower section under the window.  That is a utility box area that we can't move.  There is also a gas meter just to the left of the bumpout which I have not drawn in.  I have to say I've found Home Designer a challenge to learn but fascinating.  I had to completely start over twice and I learned that the custom roof had to be done in just the right order.  I haven't been concerned with the interior or basement as this is for the siding.  Again, I'd appreciate any assistance you can provide.  Dave

House Siding New2.plan

Final Variations Timber Blend and Autumn Red.pdf

Here are some quickly done variations. I was working in Chief and it crashed 4 or 5 times while working on your plan -- something it rarely does.

I'd not emphasize the garage door. It's big and takes the focus away from the center of the house. Nothing wrong with a nice door, but I'd want it to blend in.

I think with some landscaping -- don't buy 1 gallon things :) -- a small ornamental tree for example to fill in left of the bow window, you will be fine with a simpler design.

Note that where I used a lap siding, it's 12" and not one of the more common smaller sizes.

Doing something with the landing and steps would also help. Just a simple column would work.

1627388143_HC8.thumb.PNG.35fa69eeeff603d4ed84eba7ea56d819.PNG

1847024044_HC1.thumb.PNG.159881a80700bcfd3732c3db55731c07.PNG1489573914_HC2.thumb.PNG.788272515525b9dcd585801537fb3cd3.PNG868916285_HC3.thumb.PNG.a4f64eae2ddd25401890b0719556f0e6.PNG1908783589_HC4.thumb.PNG.cff896c451c185f03d789c40892cdade.PNG734995578_HC5.thumb.PNG.abdb0e60412684348bb9288663bf2ce0.PNG1687636621_HC6.thumb.PNG.7885ca53350ebfdf17fd39898b413ad5.PNG336666852_HC7.thumb.PNG.f2e48dd5b3f00f1096a88a7be41b8beb.PNG

Thank you for the ideas, Eric, most interesting.  I have to say, there is something appealing about the simpler lines you have.  When I compare it besides what I came up with, mine does seem too complicated.  It looks like the vertical panel siding on some of your drawings is variegated.  Do they actually sell that type of pre-finished panel?  I can see how the vertical panels de-emphasize the horizontal nature of the structure while the lower lap ties it together.  It's interesting, but this is an older modular home and underneath the vinyl is that type of siding (although not as good as the modern stuff).  I could always go back to shutters as we have now (see full existing in attached).  You definitely gave me something more to think about (but my wife says she can't think about it any more for awhile!)  I might have to go back to the drawing board.   Dave

Front Original.pdf

I think that you are wanting to bring more attention to the height of the house, and divert attention from the really long length of the structure?

I would start with the front door. Adding a sidelight gives the entry more impact.
Make the front porch wider, so that you can add board & batten siding in that area for interest (also gives the porch more oomph).
Add the stone to the entire front bay projection.
Lastly...window boxes added beneath the 2 smaller windows help to visually elongate/heighten  that area (at very little cost), and add some seasonal color.

image.thumb.png.eaa80ad1b15cc2442ca47eab50c0141a.png

• Upvote 1