Attic trusses over garage

ricatic

I have spent many hours trying to understand building a storage attic above the garage using attic trusses. I have a utility room between the garage and the house. I have built a half vault, no trusses there because I didn't want to have my head explode, ceiling in the kitchen living room areas of the house. When I attempt to build the attic room above the garage,as soon as I hit the enter key the attic blows through the utility room ceiling then through the common wall between the house and utility room and wipes out my vaulted ceiling.

The half vault ceiling was created with soffits...I am ok with that at this time.

I know that the truss manufacturer can build the trusses so the necessity for me to design them is moot..but I would like to understand how to do this...I believe it is a good tool to have in the portfolio

I have read the knowledge base and watched the videos. I have tried building over the lower level, starting with a new 2nd level and deleting attic walls after the big blowout, raising the roof pitch to 9/12 and prayers to the CA gods... No success...My only specification that has a minimum is the garage ceiling...I would like 10' but can live with 9'6"...minimum needed for a garage door opener... Help please

Kingston Ranch Walkout Trusses and Ceiling Planes.plan

Trusses build between ceiling and roof planes. Think about how you truss will look and use the roof to control it.

Here I changed this roof plane so the trusses would build the same all across.

You do need a 2nd floor.

And it's helpful to post images showing the problem ...

ht1.thumb.png.3f0fd2fe50c83bd8ab526b6b7a853d85.pnght2.thumb.png.f6f9b8e757c69b5b3cc0172f8ec4ea0c.png

I tired and tried and never got a total success. The video shows the steps necessary, maybe you will have better "Luck"::

DJP

PS: I tried again and succeeded, the resulting plan file is attached, thank you!

Kingston ranch.zip

What I did was to lower the ceiling height in the attic room to 72" from 8' and that allowed my trusses to form properly and frame around the attic room. DJP whew!!!

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you for the help...

Eric...as I said in the original post, I tried all of the listed attempts to build the roof system...as a 50 year construction professional with 35 years of construction manager experience, I easily visualize how the results should look...but I struggle with the software techniques needed to make the vision appear on the screen. I really struggle with the story pole elevations as the reactions to attempts to set floor and ceiling elevations do not make sense to this experienced building professional. Attempts to realize a 10 ft ceiling in the garage by lowering the floor elevations  always changes the 2nd floor ceiling...change that setting and the floor jumps back up. I am sure I am misunderstanding how this actually works within the software...I surely appreciate all the help you provide...

David...thanks for the extended effort to make this work... Your video provided the missing step in the manual building of the second floor from a blank plan. I tried this technique a couple of times but could not get rooms to build as required for attic trusses. Changing the wall definitions and space programming was the missing step...Thanks for providing the info...the truss manufacturer said the trusses can be built with 8/12 pitch but your drawing shows clearly the short ceiling height...I am changing the roofs to 9/12 which will add the desired head room in the attic. Now I just need to figure out the story pole requirements so the garage ceiling  height needed for a door opener is obtained...9'6" is the minimum...

Again, my sincerest thanks to both of you for the help

Regards

Rick

Thanks...that verified what I figured out earlier today by just working various scenarios...glad to see though that someone else thinks the "story pole" operations within the software are less than real world intuitive...

Regards

Rick