Half vault roof trusses and ceiling planes

ricatic

I have been struggling for two days trying to build the ceiling planes in the kitchen and living room using trusses. I have read the knowledge base and watched the videos. The desire is to have a half vault ceiling in the living room using a 5 pitch lower pitch and 8 pitch upper pitch. The kitchen ceiling is flat at 102". The truss will rise vertically at the room divider to meet the 5 pitch height. The rooms are centered at the grid line in red which is the C/L of the house. If you look at the garage you can see I was able to construct an attic truss providing a bonus room with stairs...yeah... I know the stringer penetrates the deck at the top level but frankly after spending a bunch of time with the stair tool I gave up when I got to that point...fix it during construction with a chain saw:P:P:P...as an experienced user of stair calculators I know the stairs fit but the overly complicated stair tool drove me to distraction

Regarding the truss design...I know the truss company can build the trusses but I would like to know how to draw them in HD 2020 Pro...my skill set has increased exponentially but I must surrender on this battle...any help is appreciated...file attached

Note: This is my own house but I am using this as a portfolio design to show potential customers sent by a couple different lumber yards what the designer is capable of providing...

Regards

Rick

Kingston_Walkout_Ranch_HD_forum_copy.plan

16 minutes ago, ricatic said:

build the ceiling planes in the kitchen and living room using trusses.

You do understand to place the ceiling planes first, then build the truss?

Does your plan have correct ceiling planes defined where you want the trusses?

Eric...thanks for the quick reply...After reading the knowledge base and watching video, I did place the planes first...and then second...kept getting a planes hit one another...break them or use handles to bring them closer...not able to get around the message ...there are no planes on the drawing I sent as I wanted as clean a floor plan etc as possible...

This plan exists in a presentable state now...I could get permits and build it...but my desire is to learn as much as possible  about using it for design for others purposes. I have progressed to the point that a client commissioned me to design an even more complicated home for him...I was able to put together a very nice package on layout pages...he understands that truss engineering and design was in the arena of the manufacturer...one down and hoping for more work...and I want to produce more complete packages in the future...

Regards

Rick

Ceiling planes edit just like manual roof planes. They need to be continuous (connected etc) for a truss to generate correctly above them.

Work on getting the ceiling planes in place and then try the trusses.

If you continue to have problems, post the plan with your best effort on the ceiling -- It's a pain to try to interpret a written description on where an object like a ceiling plane needs to go.

Eric

I was able to use your info and one of DJP's videos to make the ceiling planes and trusses as shown in the attached plan file...I know the results are not perfect as far as framing perspectives show but I am satisfied. My long standing policy of not telling framers (or any trade for that matter ) how to do their job will preclude providing perfect framing plans.

I used the "soffit" trick to build the high upper wall at the living room/dining junction. The truss engineers will have to figure out ow to carry the loads.

But another issue arises...and hours of working on it have been fruitless.Somehow I have managed to builds some interior walls with one side sheathed with the exterior wall board and batten material.  Any help in getting the walls to display correctly will be much appreciated

Have a great evening...

Regards

Kingston ranch with trusses.plan