chiefjdennis

Hello,

Is there a way to make a cove ceiling in a single story house design?  I'm looking to change the existing design of a kitchen/living room area from standard ceiling to a cove ceiling. 

I know it's possible to just deselect the "Ceiling Over this Room" option under the Room Specification;Structure section creating a cathedral ceiling all the way to the roofs ridge board (see attached screen shots "Ceiling_Normal" & "Ceiling_Cathedral"). 

How would I add collar tie's say 3 feet above normal ceiling height and then create a cove ceiling up to the new collar tie's?  Is this even possible with architectural or would I have to upgrade to Pro?   Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

NOTE: The 3rd image is the look I'm going for although I had to cheat and create it using a "shelf" 

2_AnchorLane_2.plan

Ceiling_Normal.jpg

Ceiling_Cathedral.jpg

Ceiling_CoveCheat.jpg

I was unfamiliar with the term "Cove Ceiling" so I "Googled" it to see what you are talking about ( I have heard this referred to as a coffered or Tray ceiling ).

I would recommend that you as in image three, set the ceiling height in the room specification dialog, then draw a "room within your room" using "invisible railing walls" the outline of which is the intended "Cove or Tray Ceiling", the resulting "Island room" will be automatically connected to an "exterior wall". You then open the dialog box of your cove ceiling room and set its ceiling height higher than the ceiling height of the main room. There may be more to do to make it look as close as possible to what you intend but this will get you started.

The attached image was done in my trial copy of Architectural 2020 and will work in the 2017 version and this method does NOT effect the auto roof builder tool

DJP

coffer.jpg

I first did a Google Search for ":Cove Ceiling" to better understand what you did mean but that is still a rather "General"  category of "understanding" in terms of helping you. If you can find an existing photo or image of what you DO want will help immensely anyone helping you.

DJP