On 2/6/2020 at 9:00 PM, Jo_Ann said:

Is this what you want?

The top of the pony wall bottom is flush with the side roof planes, and the floor is recessed 16" from that.

I think you can see by looking at the (green dashed) roof plane lines, that an 8' by 10' room is not going to fill that roof void.

The room will have to be longer, to accommodate the roof.

image.thumb.png.420a843b29f426528c9a2d7e5be6c52d.png

Hi Jo Ann,

Sorry about the delayed reply. That basically looks like what I've been aiming for. As you said, the room needs to be longer...about 14'.

8 hours ago, barthmv said:

there seems to be a number of ways that this can be drawn in pro.   I created it by lowering the floor I had in my recent post by 18", modifed the framing to be 18" around the floor.

next I added the railings with a bottom offset an height to get the proper appearance.  Solver is correct in saying that this is not a very practical design.  Most widow walks that I have seen have always been prone to leaking and this design without some kind of slope and drainage would be really bad. 

pool widows walk.jpg

Thanks for the process of drawing the widow's walk in HD Pro. And though I do prefer the appearance of the walk having a lowered floor, I agree with you and Eric that it's an impractical design with the added risk of water leaks causing interior damage. One possible solution is that I've sourced a shop that makes custom fiberglass moldings. They'd be able to make a custom seamless insert that could be lowered into the frame of the walk, thereby eliminating almost all potential sources of water leaks...except for the opening for the floor drain. The top of the fiberglass molding will also have a lip that goes over the edge of the roof where it meets the walk. However, I suppose that if the floor drain was to get plugged, then I'd literally have a pool as Eric described.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:08 PM, solver said:

Simpler video.

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/1EE7bz-e0CA?hd=1

Thanks again Eric! Seriously, your videos are incredibly helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time to create and post them, while also explaining the steps you're taking during the video! Considering how many posts you've contributed to the forum, I can only imagine the enormous number of people you've helped with this architectural software. It's inspirational! Thank you! :)

8 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

With the stairs, and with a hatch.

image.thumb.png.39cae060a254a70be0941e2447d53ba1.pngimage.thumb.png.67b4e17b40a91bf1e1a3d349d2bd4f68.png

Hi Jo Ann - the stairs and hatch you posted is what I'm aiming for. Do the stairs up to the hatch originate from a series of stairs and landings located directly underneath, or are they a set of stairs on their own?

I'm sorry for requesting help on this topic again, but I am not able to make the topmost walls of the house (Floor 4, Pony Walls) display a railing section on the upper portion of the wall. This technique is shown in the 5-minute video, but I've not been able to get it to work on my Plan. Any guidance would be great, please.

The stairs I created originate from the 3rd floor to the widow's deck. 

You will have to also add a set of stairs from the 2nd floor to the 3rd floor.

Did you set the upper wall of the pony wall to be a railing?

Did you open the railing tab of the wall specification box, and put a check mark in the "specify railing" box?

image.thumb.png.16b004d6e3c3065bb59759a3ec4a5a7e.png

44 minutes ago, Jo_Ann said:

The stairs I created originate from the 3rd floor to the widow's deck. 

You will have to also add a set of stairs from the 2nd floor to the 3rd floor.

Did you set the upper wall of the pony wall to be a railing?

Did you open the railing tab of the wall specification box, and put a check mark in the "specify railing" box?

image.thumb.png.16b004d6e3c3065bb59759a3ec4a5a7e.png

Thanks JoAnn. Unfortunately, I did those things and still no luck. My drawing looks nearly identical to yours, with a room on the 3rd floor (inside the attic area) and an identical room above it on the 4th floor. No matter what I've done to this point, the software will not create the desired pony walls on the 4th floor. I can get it to create railings by selecting the options you indicated, but the railings only appear at the bottom of the 4th floor room where the lower wall of the pony wall is supposed to be.

Yes. And the four pony walls of the widow's walk (Floor 4) will then show railings for the upper section of the walls. However, there does not seem to be any control of the height of the lower wall of the pony wall...which is needed to create the recessed "swimming pool" structure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jo_Ann said:

In the new plan you uploaded, you haven't applied any of the directions given.

Height control of the lower wall of the pony wall...YES, there is control.

Hi, you're correct about not having applied any of the directions in the plan I uploaded. I submitted the wrong plan - sorry about that. I've uploaded the one where I've applied ALL of the directions, and yet still there is no control of the lower wall of the pony walls.

Colonial House Design - wide draft1.plan

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, solver said:

What's not working? I've done it in Pro and Chief Premier.

Hi Eric - I'm at a complete loss for why it's not working on my end. I've attached photos that portray the sequence of steps I've taken to adjust the height of the pony wall. As you can see in the photos, the wall does not change in height at all. And I downloaded the file which you're using (ie. the one I uploaded to the forum earlier) just to be sure I was using the same file as you. I really do appreciate the time you've taken to help me resolve this issue. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9 minutes ago, solver said:

Did you notice the difference between how things look in my video and how they look on your system?

I don't know why -- might be a problem with Pro 2018. Are you current with updates?

Unfortunately, I didn't notice a difference. I'm current with updates as well.

Something I just tried was changing the types of wall structures (brick, siding, ECF, etc.) used in both the upper and lower wall sections of the pony walls. It turns out that the pony wall behaves correctly with any of those wall types. However, if I use any of the railing settings for the upper wall section, it appears to display the railing in the lower section, and does change in height regardless of the height values I assign it.

YES!
Architectural 2018 has the same problem, but I didn't realize that Pro 2018 also had that problem.

Here's the fix:
Open the wall, to the rail style tab.  Raise the bottom rail to 16" (If that's what you want).
Then get a closed box shape from the library.  Set it's height to 16", resize it's depth, and control/drag it under the railing.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

YES!
Architectural 2018 has the same problem, but I didn't realize that Pro 2018 also had that problem.

Here's the fix:
Open the wall, to the rail style tab.  Raise the bottom rail to 16" (If that's what you want).
Then get a closed box shape from the library.  Set it's height to 16", resize it's depth, and control/drag it under the railing.

Yay!! It finally worked! I'm very grateful to both you and Eric for the extensive feedback and eventually figuring out the software problem with HD Pro 2018, and how to work around the pony wall railing issue! :)  On a personal note, I'm thinking of upgrading my software to avoid the pony wall glitch in the future.

9.jpg