Gable Roof Issue

MississippiMims

In the attached plan, I am attempting to add a gable to the front of the house.  The gable will rest on the front wall and will not extend the full length of the wall.  I have tried the gable tool but have been unable to get the correct result.  I'm not sure if its because of the porch having a separate roof plane or what.  Any suggestions?

Lancaster Plan.plan

I had auto roofs turned off because I had to manually draw the porch roof and main roof as the customer originally wanted.  They decided then that they wanted a small gable on the front of the house to add curb appeal.  I tried using the gable tool to add this and was getting nothing.  If I now turn on auto roofs, will my already constructed roof planes be altered?

I was trying that while waiting on a reply and was able to get the gable.  Thank you.  Now how do I create the opening in the main roof so it will be open to the attic?  The customer wants a window in the gable.  I told them that it would only open into the attic and will be purely decoration but I feel like they will still need to be able to access the window from the attic for any unforeseen maintenance.

Thank you David.  That was an excellent tutorial.  I was able to figure out the large gable walls as you have shown.  The gable wall in question however is a smaller gable on the front of the house.  I realize the front is not easily identifiable because I have not installed doors and windows yet.  I have added a small gable as shown by Eric's example a few posts back.  The opening I'm trying to create is through the larger roof plane underneath; almost like a dormer.

1 minute ago, MississippiMims said:

Still can't figure out why I can't generate a gable wall on the front.

Walls show respect to the edges of roof planes, if the wall is on top of a roof plane it will have to be marked "Roof cuts bottom" in its wall specification dialog-roof tab or you must manually make sure that your gable roof planes overhang the top of that wall and that roof planes are not underneath its bottom (from the porch).

DJP

That was a good video.  I will admit I didn't know there were Youtube videos for Chief Architect.  I had only watched the tutorials from the video help section of the website.  Pulling the porch roof back from under the wall worked.  I'm not sure how all of the breaks were added to my manually built roof planes and therefor I am not good at cleaning them up.  I will take some time this week to try and learn more about manual roof building from Youtube.  Thank you so much for your time and help.  

57 minutes ago, MississippiMims said:

manual roof building from Youtube

There are a couple of good roof videos -- search for advanced roof.

Manual roofs take practice. When I started I probably drew 100 test plans with different configurations and roofs.

Understanding auto roofs is also helpful. I'll almost always start with auto working in a Perspective Full Overview so I see the changes immediately. Then switch to manual if needed.

I have some roof videos on my YouTube channel too. David Potter has a bunch also.