Colonial Plantation Home columns

alexdrafting

Hello,

Would anyone be able to provide guidance on how to draw exterior columns for a French Colonial Plantation home design?

I'm trying to draw an Old South style plantation home (antebellum architecture, such as the Oak Alley Plantation), but have been unable to create exterior features such as columns and a covered second floor balcony that wraps around the entire home.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Alex

6 minutes ago, alexdrafting said:

columns for a French Colonial Plantation home design?

It's helpful to see pictures if what you want to model.

8 minutes ago, alexdrafting said:

have been unable to create exterior features such as columns and a covered second floor balcony that wraps around the entire home.

What's preventing you from doing these things?

Hi - thanks for the suggestions. Have added the software info to my signature.

I've searched the bonus catalogs and any other place I can think of for help, but can't find any way to create the exterior columns. Could it be a feature not available in Home Designer Pro 2108?

I'm trying to model the Oak Alley Plantation style. Basically a two-storey square box house, with a large overhanging hip roof supported by large columns. a second floor balcony meets the columns and wraps around the entire house. I'd also like to include a roof-top terrace if possible, as seen in the photo of the Oak Alley Plantation house.

new-orleans-louisiana-oak-alley-plantation-oak-trees-white-house-shershegoes.com13.jpg

You will need to explain what problems you are having. You may have trouble with some of the details like the 2nd floor railing, but for the structure itself, I see no problems.

I found this column which looks close enough in the standard library.

ht1.thumb.png.7a66b715921f46a70665408fd47ae591.png

I've drawn a two-storey box shaped house to start, but am unsure of how to begin drawing the exterior columns and then draw a hip roof which extends outward to the edge of the columns. Do you begin be drawing an exterior wall surrounding the exterior walls of the house, and then change these outermost walls into columns? 

With Pro, you have manual roofs so you may draw them where you want.

For automatic roofs -- roofs build over rooms, so you need to think of the balcony as a room (there is a Balcony room type), with a railing wall defining the outside edge. 

Because your columns span 2 floors, they need to be placed and sized manually.

Your questions tell me you don't understand how the program works, so I'd suggest reviewing the links I provided above. The hour long getting started webinars on YouTube might be a good place to start. There is also a tutorial found under the Help menu that goes over the basics.