two stories with roof starting at first story

SuiteUser_d

My house has three sections:  a two story section with an 8-pitch roof running n-s, a one story section with an 8-pitch roof running n-s, and a two story section with a 14-pitch roof running e-w, with the additional complication that the roof starts at the first story.  I've managed to create the two 8-pitch sections as I like, and have the 14-pitch section in place, but the roof starts at the top of the second floor, and I can't seem to convey to Home Designer Suite 2017 that it should start at the top of the first floor.

I'm attaching a picture of what I've got, annotated with what I want, and a copy of my plan.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks, Darlene

d_needs_help.plan

where the roof should be.jpg

Roofs build over rooms. Make the room (ceiling height) higher to raise the roof, lower to lower the roof.

Once the roof is where you want it, turn off auto rebuild roofs and change the ceiling height.

And thanks for posting the plan (I did not look at it) and the annotated image.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the tip on putting the software in the signature block (I did).  I've been fumbling around with the help, and even went to some of the suggested YouTube videos -- but I still couldn't solve it, thus the query here on the forum.  Hopefully someone out there will say, 'That's easy -- do THIS'.  Fingers crossed, at least!  d

Eric -- yes, and I'm nearly there.  I have this weird peak in the back end of my gable....  I did as you suggested:  defined the second floor room as 'Family', and changed the floor and ceiling height to 121 3/4" -- the same as the 'Floor Above (A)' value of the Garage and Utility rooms of the first floor.  And it is nearly right.  For some reason there is this weird raised area in the rear.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

almost.jpg

first_floor_wanted.jpg

second_floor_wanted.jpg

d_needs_help 2.plan

I took a quick look at the roof and get different results -- I don't have Suite 2017 to view the plan with.

I did notice several wall alignment problems shown here, and there may be more.

ht1.thumb.png.e68e2c7ffa3607437e91b168df802638.png

You can see where the 1st and 2nd floor walls are not aligned, and these should be corrected. Select the incorrect wall and there is an Align With Wall Below (or above) tool in the Edit Toolbar that will align them. Sometimes these small things can change how the roof builds.

It would be helpful to know how this area should look.

ht2.thumb.png.9a6c4aa6ebe7033d909af18492764985.png

Hi Eric,

Thanks.  As I was positioning doors and windows sometimes the exterior wall would move -- clearly, I didn't get them back quite right.  I will work on that.

Amazing how the different software packages produce different results.  I believe I used an earlier version of the software back in 2003 -- that two story part was an addition -- originally the one-story roof line extended all the way over.  I didn't have this problem then, go figure.

What you show in the second drawing is nearly exactly right -- and it may be exactly right; I can 't quite tell from that perspective.  The 8-pitch roof cuts off to keep an even eave along the edge of the one story roof until it is even with the eave of the 14-pitch roof.  That is, there is a right angle at that corner when looked at from directly above.  Tried to add in the lines in the graphic below; hope it makes sense.  

So, you think it is a glitch in the Home Designer Suite 2017?  Do you have an opinion on whether there is a way to convince it to it as you have it -- a single elevation ridge from front to back on the 14-pitch part?

Thanks so much!  d

house_garage_meets_dining_room.jpg

That's easy do this!!!!

Change the 2nd floor ceiling height to 0" (F), change the railing to a wall, use the break wall tool and change that

little piece to siding with a 14" pitch.

Delete the 2nd floor invisible wall and all other unneeded walls, Gable the 1st floor wall and move it to the left.

Lower the other room to 84" or lower, then turn off auto rebuild roofs and reset the ceiling heights.

Use the full camera to see how it looks.