Print size limitations

barthmv

I understand the reasoning behind having more features with the more expensive versions of Chief software but I don't quite know why print size should be one of them.

There has been a lot of questions concerning how to print larger size prints with the home designer software.  Printing is something that should be available without size restrictions.

with software that costs 500 dollars.  Many of us users have large format plotters and would like the ability to utilize their print capabilities without having to spend the 2000 + cost of the chief architect software.  I don't feel asking for unrestricted print capabilities is asking for too much  and should be a simple thing to add to the home designer software which will be coming out probably March of 2020.  Could you let me know what the reasoning is behind the print limitations. 

Thank you

• 2 months later...

I went to buy the 2021 for that reason then found out my Mac 2011 desktop will not run this system and I can't  upgrade my Mac to what the new 2021 requires...so it will cost me $3K computer and $500 for upgrade....not doing.  Just is wrong they won't release a update to my 2016 HD to allow me to print any size....Sad

• Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, ajeb1958 said:

I would like to buy a license for the Premier 7 or so...that my 2011 mac would run on.....anyone know anyone?

Try posting your plea at Chief Talk and also take a look on E Bay but beware of pirated software there. A license of Chief Architect Premier includes all versions, it is a permission to use the software. I have, on my PC, Versions 7 (Circa 2000AD) and also Versions 9, 10, X1, X2, X7, X8, X9, X10, X11 and X12 but they are all under my single license agreement with Chief Architect Inc. So I cannot share my copy with you without giving up the right to use the other versions, FYI.

BTW the first Mac Version of Chief was version X6 (version 16)

DJP

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the chief architect site and it shows that all versions of the home designer software has size limitations removed.  I only have Pro so I can't say for sure that this is the case with the other 2 versions but it appears that all versions should be able to print unlimited size. You might want to check with support

9 hours ago, TJCali said:

I am a little confused, After reading this thread i upgraded to 2021 but the print size is still limited - 

The new size limitations do NOT apply to your physical printer. If your printer largest size is letter or legal, then all you can print to paper are those sizes. What print size refers to is the limitation of size Home Designer software can print to, THAT limitation has been removed. It does not mean that it magically causes your small format printer the ability to print like an Architectural Plotter. It means that printing to PDF and other print file formats that can be read by Architectural Plotter machines has been removed in Home Designer.

This in no way alters the abilities of the physical printer you may have in your home or office. The limitation is removed from the software itself.

DJP

Sorry guys my post was wrong -

It seems that when i was opening my files it was still opening the 2020 version 

i did open the 2021 version and it did pop up with print sizes 

Thanks for the fast response ~!

2020-04-19.thumb.png.c526084990cab1304a7c82aa3787d4ca.png

• 1 month later...

When I try to print, the program shuts down 90% of the time or more.   When I try to "Export" to PDF it also shuts down the program....  I have to do a screen print and then into PAINT to crop around.

The second issue is of course a Roof.  I have only once been successful in getting the roof line to go out over the covered porch after many tries.  Then of course something else changed in the plan and the roof line reverted back to main structure and can not fix.

In short I want a covered porch and then ~4 windows (final placement not done as why waste effort till I can model roof) in attic to break up the visual of the large roof.

Retirement_House.png

Retirement_House-Roof.png

• Downvote 1

On 4/20/2020 at 1:26 AM, DavidJPotter said:

It does not mean that it magically causes your small format printer the ability to print like an Architectural Plotter.

For a pdf plan copy - in HDPro2021,

My experience has been to 'Customise sheet sizes' firstly in print dialogue/menu to the size you want A1 - or size as whatever;;

Follow - File\print\customise sheet sizes;

Then,

- under print layout\destination window select 'Chief Architect save as PDF';

Next confirm same paper size'

Then,

'Save as PDF'.

Now with the larger sheet sizes on HDPro2021.

All great.