Changing size of breezeway to attached garage

ChiefBenbow

I have an attached garage with a breezeway/deck.  I am trying to reduce the size of the breezeway, but it keeps moving only the bottom floor of the house or the garage.  

As you can see we are new to the program and there are many details that need to be ironed out.  So far we have tried the following

1. Moved the front wall of the garage which changed the length of the breezeway, then moved the parallel wall to the get the original dimension of 26 feet.
    1.  This only moved the bottom floor would not move the roof with it
  2. I then tried to dimension the length of the breezeway to 8'
    1. This only move the bottom floor of the house and left the top floor an roof in the original position.

Thank you,

Keith

Little_House_backup_new_foundation.plan

Not suggesting anything wrong with your design, but here are a couple of ideas.

Changed pitch from 12 to 10 on the house and garage to reduce the mass of the roof, and up from 1 to 3 on the porch at that's the minimum for typical roofing materials.

Rotated the garage roof 90 degrees making the garage stand out less and the gable over the doors will shed snow/water to the side.

Changed the 2nd floor front facing gable trying to make it seem more part of the house.

ht1.thumb.png.7dfd2cf309fcb9527e5ccbb12c19e2a7.png

9 minutes ago, solver said:

Not suggesting anything wrong with your design, but here are a couple of ideas.

Changed pitch from 12 to 10 on the house and garage to reduce the mass of the roof, and up from 1 to 3 on the porch at that's the minimum for typical roofing materials.

Rotated the garage roof 90 degrees making the garage stand out less and the gable over the doors will shed snow/water to the side.

Changed the 2nd floor front facing gable trying to make it seem more part of the house.

ht1.thumb.png.7dfd2cf309fcb9527e5ccbb12c19e2a7.png

I like the suggestions!  Do you have a way of sharing that file back to me?  I wanted to bring that front gable and the back gable to match the lower wall, but could not seem to make that happen.

Thank you,

Keith

Just wanted to share what someone on the other site told me, in case anyone is following this thread and is trying to move a whole building which is what I was trying to do.  It worked.  See below.

Not sure you have the Edit Area tool or Transform replicate Tools in Pro  ( which is why Eric suggested asking on HomeTalk) but........

Have you tried Edit>Edit Area>Edit Area (All Floors) and move the garage 6' left with transform replicate?

Mick made a good leap there from "I want to make the breezeway smaller" to "move the garage over".

I try to suggest that when someone is unsure, say where you want to go instead of asking about a specific task.

Here is another idea, all auto built. A roof like this bearing on knee walls was pretty common in older houses.

I did notice you have your exterior walls marked as foundation walls and that is not needed. Just build your foundation as I've done.

ht1.thumb.png.4e8fd7a4cb94b8977d53e37aa036aafd.png

40 minutes ago, ChiefBenbow said:

I wanted to bring that front gable and the back gable to match the lower wall, but could not seem to make that happen.

Auto dormers are picky about where they are placed. They cannot cross roof planes, for example. The may be placed over a wall.

ht2.thumb.png.c0fd2a543cbb7229b5fc3cf7cd24a991.png

I usually do dormers like this manually to have complete control.

46 minutes ago, ChiefBenbow said:

Do you have a way of sharing that file back to me?

Did not save it ...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, solver said:

Mick made a good leap there from "I want to make the breezeway smaller" to "move the garage over".

I try to suggest that when someone is unsure, say where you want to go instead of asking about a specific task.

Here is another idea, all auto built. A roof like this bearing on knee walls was pretty common in older houses.

I did notice you have your exterior walls marked as foundation walls and that is not needed. Just build your foundation as I've done.

ht1.thumb.png.4e8fd7a4cb94b8977d53e37aa036aafd.png

Auto dormers are picky about where they are placed. They cannot cross roof planes, for example. The may be placed over a wall.

ht2.thumb.png.c0fd2a543cbb7229b5fc3cf7cd24a991.png

I usually do dormers like this manually to have complete control.

Did not save it ...

Thank you,

I will have to try these methods.  Being such a newbie, I am hesitant to try some of the techniques, because I worry about not being able to transfer all of the changes.