What's this called? (Stairwell technique question)

4ndrew

Hi all,

I'm trying to build an opening in an upper floor that has a wall on one or more sides that's continuous from the first floor. The opening contains a staircase. 

When I try to align different types of wall edges to the stairs, it generally jumps up to the next floor (or attic).

I've tried experimenting with invisible walls creating an opening to the first floor, but no luck so far.

stairwell.thumb.png.c06f1155cf5883db44af99422e850b09.png

I searched through Help, but didn't find it, and don't know what I should be searching for. 

Any help appreciated!

It looks like you should be asking in the SketchUp forum :)

9 minutes ago, 4ndrew said:

When I try to align different types of wall edges to the stairs, it generally jumps up to the next floor (or attic).

I've tried experimenting with invisible walls creating an opening to the first floor, but no luck so far.

Not understanding the problem.

Lol.. yeah, had to show a working example somehow...

Two things I'm trying to figure out:

1) That brick wall - can I actually make it two floors high without structural members from the 2nd floor poking through? It seems to be sticking out about 1" where the floor members would intersect it. I want to simulate the wall being, essentially, a two-story wall.

2) When I drag the same edge against the stairs, or move a wall against an edge of the stairs, it "jumps" up to the next floor and the opening disappears. The attached image had the opening on the 2nd floor and the stairs on the 1st before the wall or edge is abutted to the stairs... the wall is on a different edge of the stairs in the image, but it happens regardless.

The other image shows the room on the 2nd floor, Open To Below, and the stairwell in its starting position before any more walls are added or edges of the opening are dragged near the stairs.

stairwell-missing-pieces.thumb.png.c9d3e22ea5821385e663e005a4d66fd5.pngstairwell-ok.thumb.png.67b92d27059bb018727126296c3b8fdb.png

Edited by 4ndrew
added 2nd image

Got a bit closer. Had to build the 1st floor wall first, set to Hang Platform Above on Wall, then build the 2nd floor wall at the edge of the opening.

I then aligned the 2nd floor wall to the edge of the steps (bringing the edge of the opening with it.)

I then dragged the wall on the 1st floor under the wall on the 2nd floor and aligned it to the 2nd floor wall.

stairwell-working.thumb.png.695b5a7d6648edd8a027821a076e6e0a.png

3 minutes ago, solver said:

Do you know about the Align With Floor Above/Below tools that show in the Edit Toolbar when a wall is out of alignment?

ht1.thumb.png.9edf7e1151669a9ccf1465563f00873e.png

Yes - that's what I mentioned in the step above.

However, I'll try the Paste/Hold Position. Would be nice if it were a continuous multi-floor wall, but hey...

Is there a way to remove the molding from that wall? I don't see it as a wall-specific choice. (I just rebuilt it using a stairwell.)