Creating dormer with exterior entrance door- Help

TheLunas

I am trying to replicate an additional building on my property that is 1.5 stories tall (garage below). The building has multiple dormers, one that has an exterior entrance door. I am having trouble creating this in the program because I can't delete the roof in front of the door. Does anyone know how to build this type of roof scenario? Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! We have Home Designer Architect 2020. 

See photos attached for reference.  

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 11.14.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 11.14.36 AM.png

Image 12-1-19 at 11.23 AM.JPG

Start a new plan. Set your defaults for ceiling heights, roof pitch etc under defaults.

Draw the first floor.

Build your foundation.

When you build the 2nd floor, set the ceiling height to 48".

Draw in walls to form the space under the dormer. Open this room and change its ceiling height to 96". 

Use the wall break tool to place breaks where the dormer side walls intersect the outside wall. Set this and the outside walls to Full Gable.

Turn off auto rebuild roofs and raise the ceiling height in the remainder of the 2nd floor.

You should be close.

Depending on the interior and how accurate it needs to be, you may have some additional things to do.

Now do it again using your dimensions.

ht1.thumb.png.648b62bc21437aaefb169c21f3c468a3.png

David,

Wow, thanks so much! We just purchased the software last night + got hung up a bit. We let them create the second floor automatically instead of from a blank plan. Your video was super helpful and we appreciate the time you took to help us! 

After trying to create this, we are having some issues. The building has an identical dormer on the other side, but with no door or decking. When we build it, or just even one dormer on one side (like you did it), we can't seem to figure out how to delete a portion of the wall? The wall doesn't extend all the way into the space. The whole space is open up top. Let me show you what we have.

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 4.58.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 4.58.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.00.18 PM.png

4 hours ago, solver said:

Depending on the interior and how accurate it needs to be, you may have some additional things to do.

Those walls are what I was referring to.

You will need to make them invisible, then patch in as required. There are Shapes in the library. Find the Inverted Wedge and shape/paint it to take the place of the walls.

ht1.thumb.png.962ad3d826e96e7cefcecac9b3f9e879.png

It looks like you are using the David method where you created a blank 2nd floor. You need to create a room over the entire space so you see a floor on the 2nd floor.