1.5 story hip roof

AlexT8113

Hi,

Designing a multi level house with a hip roof. I tried to create knee walls in some sections of the second floor to create a 1.5 story, but I get an error message (got several different messages through my multiple different attempts, but I took a picture of one of them, see attached), and the software ignores the fact that I have defined them as knee walls and creates a two story height on them. Is it possible that the software requires gable walls to consider these walls as knee walls? I can't figure it out. And also, after watching the training videos, I thought it was about not regenerating the automated roof after creating the walls, but I have to regenerate the roof because I need to add dormers after creating the knee walls, so I am at a loss with that as well... I did create 1.5 story houses before, so I am confused here. Thanks in advance for your help.

error message knee wall.jpg

19 minutes ago, AlexT8113 said:

software ignores the fact that I have defined them as knee walls and creates a two story height on them.

Setting a wall as a knee wall does not change how the roof builds.

21 minutes ago, AlexT8113 said:

but I have to regenerate the roof because I need to add dormers after creating the knee walls

No need to rebuild the roof.

Remember how ceiling heights control where your roof builds, so set it, build the roof, and when the roof looks correct, turn off auto rebuild, draw in your knee walls and add the dormers.

6 minutes ago, solver said:

Setting a wall as a knee wall does not change how the roof builds.

No need to rebuild the roof.

Remember how ceiling heights control where your roof builds, so set it, build the roof, and when the roof looks correct, turn off auto rebuild, draw in your knee walls and add the dormers.

Thanks Eric for your response. That's what I tried to do, but the dormer did not show up. It only shows a thin line box, no roof on the layout, and nothing in the 3D view.

You should see the dormer in plan, or get an error message if the program could not create it.

Post some images -- use screen capture software instead of your phone please -- Windows Snipping Tool or whatever a Mac has.

Attach the plan file if it's not obvious what's going on.

Thanks Eric, I figured it out. I was placing the dormer on the knee wall, but it appears that it needs to be placed a little ahead of it to form.

Now a new question...can I create a recessed (inset) dormer in home designer pro 2019? I can't find any info or example on that.

yes...I wish.. :-) I think I got it though! I created my main roof as I wanted it, then created extra break points on the roof plane to make a notch in front of the future dormer. Then I created a new manual roof plane with a lower pitch to go where the notch is. Then I created my knee walls and specified the attic space. Then added the dormer in front of the notch/manual roof plane, and voila!! The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the small attic walls on each side of the lower pitch roof to fill in the holes there...I tried to add them, but it didn't work well so far. Will try again. Happy about my first manual roof attempt though!

recessed dormer.png