Bonus Room

MississippiMims

I'm trying to add a bonus room over an attached garage without changing the roof structure.  One end will be a gable wall and the other will separate the room from attic space.  The two side walls will be four or five feet knee walls depending on where they intersect the roof.  I have tried to attach my file but it keeps giving me an "error 200".  Does anyone know of a tutorial?

The "error 200" is probably due to your attaching the ".plan" file while it is actively open in Home Designer, which you have seen, does not work. You must close Home Designer and then use Window File Explorer to attach/share your file here, preferably as a ".zip" archive file. Since I cannot see your file I cannot even suggest an existing tutorial other than your "Reference Manual" and the Home Designer Website Tutorials Area.

DJP

"Bonus Rooms" are commonly thought to be in existing "Attic Space" (the space that exists between the ceiling of the first floor and the bottoms of the roof planes above. In Home Designer or Chief Premier, you first establish your existing roof system which secondarily establishes available attic space for a potential "Bonus Room". you then turn off "Auto Build Roofs" in the "Build Roof" Dialog box and order a "Second Floor" be built by ordering a "BlankSecond Floor" be created. In the dialog box presented for the "new floor" you set a target "Ceiling Height" for the new "Bonus Room" and then manually draw in the interior walls of the intended room. You can check the usability or liveability of the potential room with camera views and cross-sections to establish how wide and long the room shall be  Probably the most important consideration is how you will enter the new bonus room from the first floor, how much of the first floor is to be used to house the stairwell (that is probably the first thing to do before seeing how much usable space is in the attic to be converted to a room.

DJP

Thank you David.  I was able to place my walls following your instructions.  I don't think that the program includes the new space in the overall square footage.  Is there any way to accomplish that?  I notice the program will not let me select the room.  

On a side note - is there any way to set the brick ledge on the slab to an even 6"?

Richards.plan

27 minutes ago, MississippiMims said:

I don't think that the program includes the new space in the overall square footage.  Is there any way to accomplish that?  I notice the program will not let me select the room.  

If the space is not a room, there is nothing to include in the overall size, and nothing to select.

You probably have one or more walls marked as No Room Definition. Once you uncheck that, you should have a defined room.

36 minutes ago, MississippiMims said:

On a side note - is there any way to set the brick ledge on the slab to an even 6"?

You do not have direct control of the ledge, but by changing the brick wall definition you can vary it indirectly.

I tried changing the overall wall thickness but the slab dimensions where unaffected.  The only thing I'm trying to accomplish is getting my overall slab dimensions to an even measurement.  My concrete guy has 6" boxes that he uses to form the brick ledge.  If a wall's overall length is 20', I would like for the slab dimension to be 21'.  

• 3 weeks later...