Porch deck planks and finding small details

Hammer7

Hello all,  So one of the things that seems to be working well for me is to post a photo while researching a solution and sometimes I find the solution on my own and sometimes someone makes a suggestion that leads to  a solution.  All of the usual things that I have tried to use to change this little deck platform to change the color are not working, and my vertical siding that I applied to the underside is horizontal...hehehe, how did that happen....ah the mystery of home designer...I wish someone provided candy when you figure out how to use some feature.

porch details.png

• Downvote 1

There is no "mystery" involved but I agree oftentimes one has to figure out how a particular feature was pre-programmed to work. 

How to make a material run in a particular direction is rather straight-forward: it is preprogrammed to run (be horizontal too) in a particular direction, so if you wish a particular material to run in a different direction you use the "Edit Material Definition" tool (the tool icon that has three 45 degrees angle colors) and left-click on the material you wish to edit. In the resulting dialog, you will find that each material is represented differently depending upon what camera tool you wish to view it in the "Pattern" is for "Vector View, Glass House and Line drawing" type cameras and the "Texture" of a material is used to represent the material visually in "Standard Render and PBR" render cameras. So in order to change the pre-programmed way a material "runs" along a material surface you must change both the angle of the pattern and texture to the direction you wish it to follow.

In the case where you want a material to run both horizontally and perpendicularly the "Copy" of the material must be made manually by you (I usually name the "copy" "Material Name-90D.jpg etc for the same of the computer).

Videos

DJP

Thank you David.  I have a couple questions and I will go back to my drawing and try to work with some of your suggestions.  One of the struggles is that in the "Materials" from the menu the Deck planks are have been changed to "taupe" but are still appearing as "honey" in the rendering....I'm trying to trouble shoot why as part of finishing these deck and porch details.

Do you have "automatically regenerate deck framing" unchecked under the "deck" tab in the room specifications DBX? If you have changed the framing around, sometimes it's easier to just use the material painter and paint each board individually.