circuit planner/diagram in Home Designer Suite

jfdonohoe

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

Greetings all,

I was wondering if there is anything in Home Designer Suite that allows for the planning of electrical circuits.  I know you can connect switches, lights and outlets in the visual builder but i am more interested in planning out circuits separately from the building of the physical rooms/house.  

Thanks

Currently I'm using HDS to place electrical components through the space (mostly lights, switches, and outlets).  I understand using the "connect electrical" tool to connect lights and switches (which does smart things like automatically change out single pole to three way switch when multiple switches are attached to a single light).  

But what I dont know if HDS provides is a way to connect switches, lights, outlets, etc. into a circuit and to be able to keep track of different circuits in the structure (example:  connect everything in the kitchen to a dedicated circuit labeled "kitchen").

It would be a way of organizing a sub-panel of circuits prior to running the wire.

Thanks!

• Solution

I do plans professionally using Chief Architect Premier (I also own and use all Home Designer titles and versions for the purpose of support here). I rarely do very intricate electric plans past what is easily available in all Home Designer software.

The reason for this is that Structural Engineering, Electrical, Plumbing and HVAC are individually licensed trades in all fifty States of the USA requiring the overview of such licensed individuals relative to official submittal plans.

The purpose of this software whether Home Deigner or Chief Premier is to communicate to other such licensed individuals who are knowledgable and bound by the rules and laws of thier trades.

When I want to show a dedicated circuit, I use additional text and arrow to annotate the client's desire (how it is actually accomplished is outside of my authority). Electrical plans, when completely done are done by a licensed Electrician or Electrical Engineer only, not by you or me.

With all the above said, you can certianly do whatever you like using available tools (in Suite mainly text and arrows as well as default electric tools) but Suite is not really capable of such intricate annotations, especially compared to Chief Premier.

DJP

• Upvote 1