Bathtub in a tile covered deck

Elliot

I am trying to put a Kohler whirlpool drop-in tub 72x42x24"  in a bathroom design. I tried building a slab 80"x48"x24 and then I put the tub into the slab. It looks ok except you see the slab material on the inside of the tub like its not cutting the slab. then I dont see  the interior of the tub.  So I tried it with a soffit in the same dimensions and got the same results.  I tried changing the interior of the tub to match the white of the fiberglass of the rest of the tub and that worked but it also changed the whole slab  and the whole soffit to the same white.  I intend to cover the tub deck  with tile all over, so the inside of the tub must look like the tub.  Any ideas here? 

I have been doing  a LOT of drawing with Pro the last few months and sincerely love this program.  And my clients also love what they see in 3D so it helps me get these remodel jobs.  

thanks

Elliot 

I just tried that. and I put a granite counter on top. but it did the same thing. It cuts the tub at the granite level and I see granite inside the tub.   Im using a 3d from Kohler. Could that 3d image be my problem? 

18 minutes ago, Elliot said:

Im using a 3d from Kohler. Could that 3d image be my problem? 

Are you using a symbol from Home Designer, or was it sourced somewhere else?

You can always just shape something around the tub -- essentially creating your own hole.

• 3 years later...

Hi Elliot / all,

This is a bit frustrating !  

In this link it describes a procedure that seems pretty straight forward but my software (Home Designer Pro 2023) doesn't have the "wall cap" menu option so I can't delete the wall cap and it doesn't have the customer counter hole tool so I can't put a hole in the countertop.  I'm going to follow Elliot's lead with the skinny cabinets.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01264/designing-a-custom-drop-in-tub-enclosure.html

Hi very similar experience for our wet-room concept.   Used base cabinets - 16 3/4" high, no toe kicks, no overhang.  Used [F11] to place under cabinets and to the edge of the actual internal tub (not outer edge)  - Used the Kohler Alcove air tub from library.image.thumb.png.b6c21cfd01bbb745865f271e5c2fe783.png  this is not finished as yet   - I removed the glass wall as it was annoying in the image

image.thumb.png.579b99642d139f94a8fff48106f864b8.png  I am not sure why outdoor light invaded!

Use the Chief architect panorama viewer to the one pic

Panorama - wetroom.jpg

Edited by naturepreserve
added attachment

Well I think you need to draw it like it is made with framing etc.

So create a new a wall type with sheetrock, tile or stone or whatever will be on vertical exterior and internal surfaces; might be nothing on inisde.

Include studs as main layer 2x4 or 2x6 or whatever you choose.

draw in half walls to the height you want (check tub manufacturer instructions) less the thickness of whatever you are putting on the top.

Next I would add in a custom counter top on top  with or without overhang all depends on design.

Cut hole in it per KOHLER install instructions to suit the tub you chose. Might do counter in 1-3 pieces to make life easier.

Then insert tub into hole and the lip sits on top of countertop material you drew by adjusting the distance from floor to bottom of to suit tub instructions (most require a gap so it can move when filled with water.

NExt up is type and location faucets. Deck, wall or floor or get fancy have ceiling mounted shower head.

But whatever you do make sure it fits in space.

Now if you see framing inside tube your half walls are not located properly for that tub.

Instructions are easy to find on internet - Go to Kohler website punching the model number you are looking at in library and they have all sorts of docs you can review.

Designing things how they are made is much better in long run as you are checking to see if it is possible and have a good understanding how contractor and subs will build it.

So less questions during construction and more work being done. 

Locating things on prints lets subs know what other subs need for space or what not.

Example Faucet local - Framers will ensure no studs in area you want faucet.